Sunday, February 15, 2015

Cassidy Maksy Reflection


Papermaking and the creation of books has a long and interesting history. There was once a time when people could not just pick up a piece of paper and a pen to write down their thoughts. Today we do not really think about where paper and books come from because they are everywhere and it is easy to overlook their origins. However, the development of these technologies are so important to the history of the world and they allow us to get information and knowledge from our past.
            Through the readings On Paper, Papermaking, and The Coming of the Book, one can learn a lot about how paper was created and transformed over time and how this developed the printing industry and book trade. One of the most essential aspects of papermaking is breaking down a fibrous material into a pulp that can be flattened and dried into a material on which to write. Hunter’s Papermaking gave a good explanation of several ancient writing substances that eventually led us to paper as we know it. For example, people once used stone, bricks, brass, bronze and lead as writing materials. Even wood was initially used but in a different way than it is now. Wood was written on in the form of a table book. While these were not substances used to break down and create sheets of paper, eventually leaves, bark, parchment and rice paper were utilized. It is incredible to think that people developed the knowledge to use the materials around them and create a papermaking process in order to record information and enhance their lives with its use.
            What is very interesting about the papermaking process is its development and global expansion. All of the readings noted that the Chinese were the initial creators of paper. They are credited with this at a time of A.D. 105. Because of this, much of the information and explanations come from the Chinese culture. From there it travelled to Japan, Asia and Persia, Egypt and Morocco, and eventually to Europe (Hunter). Each culture brought a different process and used different materials which shows just how diverse and unique the papermaking trade could be. Though they each had different processes, Basbanes explains that there are three fundamentals to the trade and these even still exist today. To create paper one must utilize clean, pure water, have cellulose fiber, and work the material through a screen mold (Basbanes). All of these are essential in creating paper. When looking at paper, one might not initially see anything special, but through the readings, it was interesting to see how truly significant and cultural this material is.


            One final note on the process of papermaking is in regards to the way the industry developed. Febvre explained a lot about this in The Coming of the Book.  Every industry develops over time and is often steered by supply and demand fluctuations. Papermaking was especially driven by the supply of raw materials. It appears that at one time the demand for paper was so much higher than the supply that some areas encountered shortages and monopolies in the industry. These shortages helped the development of paper because they forced people to look for new raw materials to utilize. This allowed for the uniqueness and interesting development that was explained in the readings. The papermaking industry in turn also had an effect on the book trade because you need the paper to make a book. Febvre notes that the success of both of these industries was dependent upon the other.
            Learning about the history of papermaking and the book trade certainly made altering the book a better experience. The book I chose was one that was part of a series I read for many years as a child: A Series of Unfortunate Events. I chose to alter the ninth book, The Carnivorous Carnival because it was one that I could still find at my house. Looking back, these books are a little strange and somewhat messed up in content because they tell the story of all of the unfortunate events that happen to three orphan children. The unfortunate and destructive content played well into the altering of my book because I was able to connect it to the art actions I took against the book. For example, the cover has lions roaring on it, so I chose to cut the edges of some parts of the book in a design that to me represents teeth. These cuts are relevant to the rough teeth of a lion.  Another connection I made was in one chapter they had a picture of lion’s claws ripping at the page. From this, I was able to use scissors and stab and slice through the pages of that chapter. There were several drawings in the book that I colored in to give the chapter book with mostly words a little more life. One final example of what I did was using a lighter to burn the edges of another chapter. The chapter picture displayed a torch that was going to burn down the carnival tent. I captured this part of the story through my burnt pages.



            This was a good activity to learn more about bookmaking in general. The art actions that I chose to utilize when altering my book were somewhat representative of the book itself. It taught me how to give the book more life and a new look. I did not destroy it completely but I simply changed aspects of it in relation to what the story was about. It was interesting to take small actions that overall give the book new features. To a book you can do nearly anything that you want and you can transform the materials that made it. The history of paper and books showed significant developments over time and by using an altering process, you can utilize your experience and your personality to further develop the book and the paper. It is an object that might have one sole purpose of reading and telling a story, but it can still be altered and given more meaning.


8 comments:

  1. Cassidy, I agree with you that the development of paper was a great technology that allows us to get knowledge from our past. As we write notes in class, later look back at them to study. That makes me wonder, if people who lived before paper were smarter than us, because they didn’t have the ability to write things down, they just had to remember it the first time. Different locations of the world used different writing materials, such as stone, bricks, etc. As paper making spread, many cultures had different materials to use and they needed to show their diversity in the paper making process by adding their own steps and materials showing how papermaking can be an art. The shortage of raw materials like rags in some areas, drove paper makers to look for other resources or to have more efficient ways to make paper. You made a lot of connections from the book you read to the actual altercations you made to it. With the lion’s teeth and claws you really added a fierce attitude to the book. It was cool how you colored in some of the pictures that were already in the book. It helped the book become more a live and real. Especially burning the edges of the book, making it look like old paper and making it seem like the flame was real. I’m also glad to see someone else burned their book, because when I burned mine, it was the best part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cassidy brought up a good point when it comes to materials used for paper. At one point, old rags served as the main material in inventing paper. However, once that “pool” dried up, the inventors were forced to explore different items that had the same consistency as rags when it came to the final product. This growth is representative in any invention. At one point, one is forced to alter their process in order to better refine the end result. Because of the lack of rags, the history of paper had to take a turn that only bettered the process making a more quality item. I thought it was very creative of Cassidy to really utilize the unfortunate events brought upon these orphans and bring them to life in a way that the reader was able to relate as well. For instance, the lion illustrated on the cover and chapter title serves as a very powerful image. By adding the razor sharp teeth and the threatening claw marks, the tragic words are highlighted in a way that emphasizes the author’s thoughts and ideas. I also like how she added the burn marks because to anyone that has ever read the stories, fire really plays an important part. It was because of a fire that the children became orphans with nowhere to go. By burning the pages in the ninth book, she really emphasizes how the fire is still present in their hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cassidy you did a great job of taking the major themes or parts of this book and making it something that is represented on each page. The lion claw with the scratch marks on the page is an excellent touch but isn’t something that altered the book to the point where she doesn’t know what is and isn’t on the page anymore. With what Cassidy found through the readings was interesting as well. We do in fact take paper for granted since it is so commonly known and used today. Before paper came to be though, people were desperate for it. Writing took place on mud and brick and really anything that could be used for scribing. Paper is all about using raw materials like you had mentioned so trying to find the right combination of those was proven to be difficult. Once they finally got the hang of it, paper was frowned upon in some places, so much so that is wasn’t allowed to be imported to Holland. It was something new that scared those who didn’t know what it was. Little did they know that it would be one of our most valuable advances that is still used today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Before taking this class and going through the readings, I never thought much about paper and its origins either. It is one of those things that is so widely available that it seems like there is an endless supply. I remember reading about the different surfaces that people used to write on. It must have been hard as well as time consuming to write on something like stone or wood. I would agree that the global expansion of paper is very interesting. It is also interesting to see that people were able to come up with different methods to create paper. I found it interesting that paper was able to shape a culture and even developing a new way of life. I saw A Series of Unfortunate Events when it came out in the movie theaters. Now that you mention it, the movie was a little bit strange. I liked the metaphors with the lion and the torch burning that you were able to incorporate into your book. This was a very clever way to use the art actions. The one picture that has slices in the page really looks like a lion could have ripped the page. I also like the page you burned, representing the burning torch. I did something similar to my book. I cut out a box in the middle of my book to represent the “nothing” I learned in Finance. I think you did a great job with this and I am interested to see what else you come up with for the final project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cassidy makes a good point that not only does paper allow us to write down our thoughts and have books to read, but beyond that it is even more essential as it enables us to learn about the past, which is crucial to enhancing our future. I also enjoyed how the readings explained the various writing substances used in ancient times that paved the way towards the paper we recognize today. I think the path that papermaking went along as it expanded as an art was fascinating, going from China to Japan, to Asia and Persia, Egypt and Morocco, and later on to Europe. The way each culture contributed to the process and incorporated their own materials showcases the diversity that was involved in papermaking, which previously I would not have guessed was an aspect of this particular trade. I think that the fact that Cassidy related her art actions to the content of the book was a really nice touch, and both creative and logical at the same time. I particularly like that she burned the edges of the pages in the chapter that had a torch in it. I like how instead of destroying the book or altering it beyond repair, she gave it “more life” by adding drawings and new features like teeth cutouts and stab marks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really liked Cassidy’ project. I read that series when I was younger and really enjoyed them (even though they were a little weird). I remember the series being very imaginative with lots of little details which I really liked. Her decision not to destroy her book but instead to enhance it really struck me and her additions make the book look much more interactive and fun. This was also a great way to use as many means of alteration as possible. The scratches she made down a page with a lion was such a creative idea as well as her burning the edges of her book near pictures of fire. I think book this is my favorite because Cassidy didn’t just transform the book for her project but she actually enhanced the experience for the next person to read that book. This demonstrates paper’s powerful ability to share and the role of paper as a global equalizer; whether you’re in ancient Egypt or preset day Smithfield, you can always find paper.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like how Cassidy points out the variety of different materials what have been used throughout history in the papermaking process. It isn’t till you read about this history of paper that you really understand how many different materials and process have been used to create paper all around the world. As Cassidy states, “When looking at paper, one might not initially see anything special, but through the readings, it was interesting to see how truly significant and cultural this material is.” I couldn’t agree more with Cassidy on this. The majority of people take paper for granted and this it’s nothing special at all. We use and dispose of it like it has no meaning. When we look back and read about papers history and how far it has come to develop into what it is today, that is when we can see its value and its significant meaning. I like how Cassidy connected this to how she altered her book. She took her book and altered her pages to give them more meaning. I liked how she thought of her alterations not as destroying the pages but as changes to give her book more “life”.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like how she pointed out how paper spread throughout the world. It was fascinating to learn about how each culture made their own paper with the materials that were available in their surroundings and society. Its also hard to believe that there was once a shortage of paper. It is hard to picture a shortage of paper in our day and age when it is something that is discarded without a second thought on a daily basis. I really like how Cassidy uses the actual events in the book to influence how she wanted to alter it throughout. Emphasizing the words like fire with color is a creative way of making certain events stick out to the reader as well. I agree that this activity was a great introduction to bookmaking and for our class.

    ReplyDelete