Before I began to alter my book, I
had no idea where to start. There were so many ways in which to change and
recreate the book, so I finally decided to begin with something that would
complement the way the book was illustrated. The pictures in the book looked
like they were already cut and pasted, as well as very two-dimensional. I
worked with the exacto knife to cut and enhance the shapes that are utilized in
the book. I used these around the ends and corners of the pages as well as
cutting out certain shapes of the nature scenes. I later re-pasted these pieces
where I felt they would fit within the book. The more that I worked, the more
of a groove I got into with more and more ideas.
After cutting and repasting with the
exacto knife, I decided to draw and put my own touches into the book. I used
sharpie markers to doodle within and around the existing pictures, as well as
write some calligraphy. I then looked at my book and realized that it was a
little too balanced and clean. (That must be my accounting state of mind taking
over a bit). So I took a deep breath and started ripping out and around certain
shapes where I felt it would be fitting. After this, I felt the finishing touch
would be to burn some of the last page of the book. It was a few old wine
bottles, so burning the edges of them made it seem more rustic in my mind. I
was very pleased with the outcome of the book, especially after not knowing
where to start as well as hoping not to ruin it.
As for the reading, I have to admit
it was a little difficult to get through. I know this will sound quite shallow,
but I never knew paper was literally made from rags. I thought it was
interesting to learn that there were people whose professions were actually
finding the best rags to sell to paper makers. Some other things that I found
interesting would have to include all the different surfaces in which cultures
used to use as paper. I had obviously heard of most. However I was intrigued at
the fact that wood was used with a coating of wax to scratch the letters into
the board, and then the wax scraped of so that it was something that was
reusable. I thought this was very clever and easy to use.
I
never realized this, but it was cool to learn that the first Chinese fans and
etc. that we see today were started when paper was pretty new. They found that
it was inexpensive and effective. It is amazing that they are still made the
same way today. The way in which paper was made as well as how it spread was
something that was something I felt I should learn and these readings helped me
to do just that. The way the use of paper spread as well as the many ways that
man tried to improve upon it reminds me of any market that exists today. It was
something that was revolutionary and caught on like wild fire among any and all
different people.
I think that Laura’s use of calligraphy is a very creative way to incorporate the assigned readings into this project. The readings talk about the history of writing and printing, while Hunter makes specific references to the art of calligraphy. I also had a hard time deciding how to start the book altering process. Similar to Laura, once I made a few modifications, I felt a lot more comfortable with the idea of altering a book. By adding shapes and designs to the book in order to add to the story, Laura was making the book her own. I think that burning the edges of the last page of the book is definitely symbolic and creative. It also conveys the rustic vibe that Laura wanted readers to understand. As Laura states, the readings taught us that Chinese fans are made the same way today as they were hundreds of years ago. It is very fascinating that although technology and paper making have made such strides and constantly evolved, certain historical processes remain the same. Hunter has taught us a significant amount of history concerning Chinese involvement with the development of paper and bookmaking. It is interesting to see which of their practices have carried over to current times and which ones have evolved with technology.
ReplyDeleteTo respond to Laura’s blog post, I loved her use of the exacto knife. I liked how she chose to enhance the shapes utilized in the book. I also liked how she used sharpie markers to doodle! Doodling has to be one of my favorite things about art. I use sharpies for almost everything. Doodles really have a deep meaning for the individual who is doodling. Some people might not understand why the individual drew what they did, and sometime the doodler has no idea either. I think this relates to what I posted in Nicole O’Neils blog about understand the deeper meaning behind an author’s work. This allows you to appreciate the artwork itself. I agree with Laura that the readings were a little difficult to get through. As I mentioned in Ricard’s blog, there are so many different surfaces that cultures used to write on. Stones were something I knew past cultures used, as well as wood because in the summertime, I paint on wood all of the time making signs for friends and family. What I did not know was rags were used to make paper. I would have never guessed that the dish rags my mom uses in the kitchen could be used to make the paper I do my homework with!
ReplyDeleteI started this project exactly the same way as Laura; I had no idea where I should start. I like how she decided to cut different shapes into her book and re pasting some of those pieces in different parts of the book. If I used a book with more pictures, I probably would have decided to do something similar to enhance and change the book in a new way. Like Laura, what I found interesting in the readings was learning about all of the different materials that different societies used as paper. Reading the articles, I learned so much about the origins of paper and how it spread throughout the world. In one of the readings Basbanes describes just that, “Every paper museum… exhibits a chart depicting the spread of papermaking throughout the world… one country after another took it up, the technology being handed over city by city, workshop by workshop, a classic case of what other historical contests has been described as a “domino effect’” (page 58). It’s crazy to think that there was a time when paper didn’t exist and people had to utilize other ways to communicate and to keep track of important records.
ReplyDeleteI had the exact same feeling as Laura did when starting this project of having no clue how to begin. Sometimes the amount of ideas of things to do and actions available are too much where it becomes overwhelming and hard to choose how to narrow it down. However, the way Laura started her project was a fun idea of cutting around the pictures. It gives the book a more playful look in addition to enhancing the beautiful illustrations inside the book. The bit of hesitation that Laura felt before starting the more destructive parts of her altering process was a feeling that resonated with me. Books always seem to carry with them the idea that they should not be modified in any way so it’s hard to get over that mindset sometimes and really get creative with altering the book. In reference to the reading, I agree that it’s really cool to know that the Chinese fans are basically made the same way they were when paper was new. It’s amazing how some processes associated with paper have completely been revolutionized from how they were at the beginning whereas others are seen to not need any improvement at all.
ReplyDeleteLike most people probably felt in the beginning, I just like Laura, had no idea where I wanted to start with this project. I kept looking at the book, and not knowing what to do, and eventually I just jumped in and started cutting. Laura did a really cool thing by cutting around the shapes in the book in order to enhance their image. One of the pictures posted shows how the crow and teddy bear have been cut out by their heads, and it gives the book an interesting appeal. She took a unique approach by adding calligraphy to her altered book, which is something that I have never seen before. This was unique because it was also a style of writing that was discussed in a few of our readings when talking about different mediums prior to the invention of paper. Laura may think it was shallow to say she never knew paper was made from rags, but honestly most people probably don’t. Prior to these readings I had never considered the various amounts of mediums that were used prior to paper being invented, or even how paper was created. Overall, Laura did a really good job with her altered book and I enjoyed reading her reflection.
ReplyDeleteLike Laura, I was very unsure of how to start the process of altering my book. For several days I thought about what I wanted to do to the book, what art actions I would use, and hoped that I would like the final outcome. She quickly learned that once she got into her groove she would begin to have more fun with this process. Laura utilized the exacto knife in an interesting way to almost rewrite the story with its pictures. This was a neat way to make the book into something of her own. Like Laura, I too was nervous to begin ripping parts of the book. The fact that this action was irreversible began to make me nervous. What if I had messed up and didn’t know how to fix it? Questions like this ran through my mind as I worked through this assignment and I am sure Laura felt this way at times. With regard to the readings, I agree that they were a bit dull and tough to get through. She also brought up the paper-made fans that were simple yet cheap. This was interesting as these types of fans are made the same way today.
ReplyDeleteSimilar to Laura, I had no idea where to start when I first started altering my book either, so I can relate to her with that. I like how she decided to enhance the pictures in the book by cutting out and around different shapes and repasting in pieces that she thought fit in other places. I also like that although she altered her book she did not think that she ruined in because in some situations that could end up being the case.
ReplyDeleteThe fact that Chinese fans were first created when paper was relatively new and are still made the same way is very interesting. Although paper had evolved quiet a lot since it was first invented, many cultures still use similar methods of making paper as they did when it was first invented. I think that this sense of tradition that culture has about it is very valuable and a distinct way of looking at a culture’s history.