Sunday, February 15, 2015

Zoe Miller Reflection



My experience with book altering changed from being a foreign almost blasphemous experience to a broader and deeper means of expression and significance as I became more knowledgeable about the origins and global effects of paper. For my project, I chose Dr. Seuss’s classic piece The Cat in the Hat. I chose this because of its unmistakable link with childhood. With this in mind, I did not try to destroy my book (I had a hard time doing anything at all to a book) but instead to create a piece of art that gives the book a new meaning. So, I began my process by thinking of how any book might be transformed and what kept coming to mind was trees and growth. The growth of physical trees, as well as the growth of knowledge circulated through the use of paper, and even more so the growth of a child during a crucial moment of development has been represented by carving tree branches into the pages of my book. After this, the edges were then burned to give it a natural, tree-like feel. While cutting a book was hard to do at first, burning the pages of a book was the hardest. This, however, can represent the idea that destruction, pain, sorrow, and change are imperative in order to achieve growth. Though the passages within the book have been sliced up and are now unidentifiable as coherent sentences, snippets of the animation survive the hacking. In an instant, one could flip through this book and see the progression, or growth, of life.

The readings helped me understand the concept that paper is ubiquitous. Cultures all across the world had invented their own way to record data; cultures that had never communicated; cultures that had valued different morals and beliefs; cultures from the middle of the desert and cultures from the mountains. India and Southeast Asia used palm leaves and coconut husks as paper, the Inca used knots along a string of cords as an ancient calculator, and the Egyptians used thin slices of marsh reed forming papyrus. Even before paper, however, was slates of stone and clay that were then carved which dates back as far as 3000 B.C. in the Middle East. This, then, begs the question “Why”? It may be that we as humans have an innate need to record our stories, our thoughts, and our experiences. The fact that human kind is naturally self-centered and egotistical, historians can hope to believe that humans have and will forever more keep track of history. It also, however, may have formed to fill a need for convenience as a way to keep track of things like crops, livestock, and even workers. This unknowing unity among the cultures of the world is a crucial element in cultural diffusion, or the spreading of ideas and beliefs to other societies.

The cultural diffusion achieved with the expansion of paper was, however, delayed as described in French historian Lucien Febvre’s piece Preliminaries: The Introduction of Paper into Europe. In 15th century Europe, books were still being written out by hand one by one. Ever since the creation of universities in 13th century Europe, there had been an increasing demand for books and manuscripts to be mass produced or published for research but technology had not advanced enough at this time (29). Another reason for the delay of the printing industry was the lack of a paper industry. Without copious amounts of paper, there was no need for a printing press. Because Europe did not possess much world power around the 12th century when paper was coming into use in China, it was not until 200 years later that the Arabs brought paper to Europe for general use (30). Since then paper has been transformed and is celebrated in many cultures many different ways such as the Japanese art of origami, the paper lantern festivals in Thailand, and even the receiving of one’s driver’s permit all fall under the category of art, expression, and value unified by one common factor: paper.

The versatility of paper has enabled us to expand even further paper’s efficiency through the growth from soggy marsh reeds to medieval texts to my grandmother’s recipe card. Our unmatched ability to create a worldwide system of communication, data, and research; our ability to send a postcard from Los Angeles to Tokyo; and our ability to capture something even as elusive as time demonstrates the incredible uniqueness of a piece of paper.




           

9 comments:

  1. I think that Zoe’s idea of making her book symbolize growth and life was very creative.Her techniques of burning the book so that the texture matched that of a tree was a great idea. Her way of explaining both the literal and figurative messages of growth that can be found in the book The Cat in the Hat was very imaginative. Anyone looking at this book will definitely understand the messages of growth and adaptability that Zoe was trying to achieve. I also agree that paper is extremely essential to our means of communication and everyday life. Zoe comments that there was a delay in the printing industry due to the halted development of the paper industry. Basbanes comments that “paper-making did not keep up with paper-using.” This fact is also true today. There is a finite amount of trees, yet we treat paper as if it is a renewable resource. He claims that this is “attributed to the studied and persistent opposition of the mother country to permit any kind of industry that might jeopardize the lucrative markets it controlled in the colonies” (79). It is amazing to see that something that is so vital to communication and daily life today was frowned upon years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Zoe was incredibly creative to link this classic children’s book to a tree through using the theme of growth. I also admire that she tried to make it a refreshing piece of art that followed and enhanced the author’s intentions rather than destroying the message the book was intended to give. Even if some of the sentences cannot be read as coherent ones anymore, I believe this enriched the author’s work. I agree with the link of growth she mentions to the development of paper, especially when she mentioned the fact that “destruction, pain, sorrow, and change are imperative in order to achieve growth.” She recognized that the development of any of these things, whether it be children, trees, or paper, is not always a positive thing. While there are always many steps forward, there are occasionally steps backward. Paper was developed to communicate information to people, yes, but how many malicious intentions, insults, or sad stories were portrayed using it? How many of these messages have been burned or destroyed at the hands of humans? And don’t forget that some paper has the unfortunate fate of winding up in sewage systems. However, it is still used to create things that are beautiful. Books, lanterns, fans, doors, fans, armor, even air balloons, as mentioned in Basbanes, are only some of the things paper is capable of bringing us. It is for this reason we still nurture it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like how Zoe decided to make her book into a piece of art that could give her book a new meaning. I understand how hard it can be to destroy or alter a book and can appreciate the reason she decided to give it new meaning. I think it was extremely creative to transform the pages of the book into a tree like figure by cutting and burning the edges of the book; the end result is very cool. The message behind the idea is very deep and creative as well. Zoe describes the burning of the book to represent destruction, pain and change as an important part of life and essential in achieving growth. I like this metaphor and how she applied it to her altered book. Zoe explains how versatile and unique paper is to societies all over the world. She further explains how different cultures invented their own ways to record important data even before paper existed. Once paper was actually created and was widespread it represented a new means for cultures to express themselves and record important information. Basbanes describes how “paper rapidly became essential to multiple forms of creative expression, allowing for an entirely new means of assisted thought – notation” (page 49). It’s amazing for us to think that there was even a time where we couldn’t communicate or use paper; we think of it more of a necessity now than unique and special.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree with Zoe in the fact that altering a book, especially one that held meaning to me, was heart wrenching. My book is one that I read every summer so to even think about what I could do was painful. Every page I tore out, I could not help but apologize to Jane Austin. However, like Zoe, once the process was underway, all I thought about was how I was able to create something new that only showed my appreciation for the novel. I really liked how Zoe changed a simple child’s book into something that really had meaning. The tree is a symbol that is really monumental. Its roots dig down deep and create a stable foundation for the tree to grow to its full potential. If you think about it, children’s books really help provide the foundation on which every individual grows from. Even now, when we are at the end of our college career, Zoe still remembers the impact the Dr. Seuss had on her when she was a little girl. I really liked Zoe’s points on how paper only provides a physical form for cultural diffusion. Because of paper, ideas, thoughts, and stories were able to bind together to form novels and documents that are shared by all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zoe’s book was one of my favorites. Not only did she alter the book but she made it as symbolic as possible. She didn’t see this process as ruining a book that she loved but giving life to a new one that she can appreciate just the same. By understanding that paper is used culture through culture regardless of people’s beliefs or technological advances. In other words paper is universal and each piece of paper tells its own story. The alteration of Zoe’s book shows that paper is versatile and even though it has several different uses it can be changed into whatever we picture it to be. The readings touch base on how paper was used for much more than taking notes, but in clothing, home appliances and other everyday needs that we may have never known about. Zoe was very creative and intuitive in making her book, she was able to portray an important message to all of us on the importance of paper. Yes it is sad and difficult to alter a book but if we change the way we view the word alteration, it makes for a painless and rather exciting experience.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zoe’s altered book was brilliant! As soon as I opened up her reflection, the cutting technique Zoe used caught my eye! Zoe did not want to destroy her book, but instead wanted to create a piece of art that gave the book a new meaning! I really liked that! I really liked how Zoe said “in an instant, one could flip through this book and see the progression, or growth, of life. Zoe said that altering her book was not an easy process but this difficult process could represent the idea that destruction, pain and sorrow, and change are imperative in order to achieve growth. This was very creative on her part! The Cat in the Hat is a childhood book that I am sure majority of individuals are familiar with, and Zoe’s alterations didn’t change the story, they simply just added to it! In Nicole’s comments she said “once paper was actually created and was widespread it represented a new means for cultures to express themselves and record important information”. I think this relates to Zoe’s work, because it symbolized Zoe’s expressions towards the book itself, and the new meaning she was trying to get out of altering the book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think Blasphemy is a perfect term to explain how most of us felt when initially instructed to alter and destroy a book. However, like Zoe, after completing the readings this assignment took a different form. It became a project where raw self-expression could be conveyed in a non-traditional way. And while it may have hurt at first to alter a book that we hold so close to our hearts, I would argue that nearly everyone was happy with the outcomes of their altered book. I thought it was extremely interesting how Zoe cut her pages. It almost creates a 3d effect which is fitting of Dr. Suess’ style. I really enjoyed how Zoe tied growth and trees into her project. Typically, one reads Dr. Suess as a young child just beginning to read. His books are a staple in nearly everyone’s childhood, as they set the foundation for childhood reading. I agree with Zoe that paper is essential for communication and use in our daily lives. However, it wasn’t as easily accepted as Jen Manni mentioned in her comment. As Zoe brought human behavior into her explanation for why we need to share our stories and such. Human behavior can also be to blame for why paper was initially accepted as well a first. People do not typically welcome change well. This along with other reasons in the readings explain why paper didn't necessarily stick at first. Zoe summed it up best: the versatility of paper plays a huge role in today’s society.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is evident that Zoe put great thought into the planning of her alteration. The first picture of her book caught my eye immediately and from it you can see the amount of detail that went into producing her book. Like Zoe, I chose a children’s book and had a very hard time making changes to it as I felt as if I was damaging someone else’s work. I really like how Zoe decided not to cut and words out of the book which means it is still readable. The way in which she thought about altering the book by thinking about “trees and growth” was very intriguing to me. She makes a very good point when she talks about the growth and development of children through paper and it is something that I think many of us over think. Like Zoe, I think it is very interesting how versatile paper can be and I really like how she brought in the effect that paper has on our daily lives and the way in which we communicate with one another. It is amazing how paper is used as a way of communication when it comes to relaying messages and can easily be done through postcards. I really like how Zoe talked about this when she mentioned Los Angeles and Tokyo and when you think about this it is truly eye opening.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It’s amazing to see how much Dr. Seuss has influenced members of the class, many chose to alter one of his books. I agree with Zoe that the hardest part of this assignment was destroying a book, especially one with sentimental value. He uses trees to symbolize life and growth and she upkeeps the tradition. The trees in Dr. Seuss’s books are distinct and it made complete sense that Zoe cut her pages into tree branches. The personal growth that each Dr. Seuss reader goes through during and after reading his books. So her alteration to her book continues the message Dr. Seuss tried to give his readers, to contribute to their personal growth. Children books teach lessons that we take with us throughout our life and different experiences. Childhood books make a lasting impression, so much of one that you share them with the next generation. It’s what makes books like The Cat in the Hat and Goodnight Moon so timeless. Zoe is one of my favorite books, because her changes were not as large as some of the choices I made. I felt each cut was strategically planned in order to fully impact the viewers of her art.

    ReplyDelete