Sunday, February 15, 2015

Angela Salvo Reflection





The process of altering a book, a textbook to be more precise, ended up being much more fun and satisfying than I could have expected. The book I chose was my public speaking textbook from last year spring semester. The reason that this book means enough to me to alter it is that taking that public speaking course was a huge leap out of my comfort zone and to me it represents a step in the right direction towards a more competent and confident version of myself. The class was an interesting experience for me, and at times I just plain wanted to give up entirely, so the fact that I made it through the class successfully made it a worthwhile experience. Therefore, transforming this book was a good choice for me for this assignment.

To begin, I wasn’t really sure what to do to the book. My initial thoughts were to simply go through it and cut some pages up, paint some pages, maybe soak a few pages, burn a page, and see where the process took me. My housemate gave me the idea to cut the entire book into the shape of a circle, and that intrigued me. So to accomplish that I started by rounding off the two corners that weren’t attached to the binding edge. To achieve this look I used the x-acto knife from our art supply pack. I drew a curved line to give myself a guide of where to cut the pages. As I continued, I found it easy at first but more difficult trying to keep it perfectly lined up as I cut more and more of the book. By the time I finished rounding off the first corner, my arm was starting to hurt, but I was getting the hang of how to best achieve the curved line I was going for. When I began the bottom corner, I took a chunk of pages at a time and put only that chunk of pages down against the cutting surface. This was easier but the end result ended up giving a sloped edge to the pages as the top pages were cut slightly further in then the bottom pages, but I liked the effect so I went with it. Then I began to consider whether or not making the book completely round was realistic. Looking at what I had so far, I realized that cutting a triangle out from the middle would look like a mouth and thus make my book as a whole resemble Pac-Man. Once this process was complete, I needed to decide how to alter the cover and binding edge to look like Pac-man which made me chose painting, and to make it into Ms. Pac-Man instead.

My next step was to paint. Since the cover was shiny I knew that the gouache would not cover it entirely without many, many coats of paint. Therefore, I tore a blank page from the end of the book and used the adhesive from our art supply pack to paste the page onto the cover of the book. Once that dried mostly, I painted the cover yellow using multiple coats, painted red lips, a red bow, and a black curved line as a closed eye, with eyelashes. This was my own interpretation of the classic Ms. Pac-Man representation, as I added eyelashes and painted the lips slightly differently. Once this dried, it formed a curved shape which I hadn’t anticipated but I think adds some aesthetic interest. To make the binding yellow as well, I cut a strip of construction paper and glued it to the edge.

Then I wanted to add something to the inside of the book. At first I simply sprayed some perfume on one of the middle pages, to relate to perfume advertisements in magazines. Next I decided to take out my x-acto knife again and create a hole in the middle to represent Ms. Pac-Man’s stomach. I used the pieces of paper that came out of that hole and crumpled them into little balls. These are intended to represent the circles of “food” that Ms. Pac-Man eats when you play the video game.

Drawing from the reading, “Preliminaries: The Introduction of Paper into Europe,” I found the description of exactly how paper is made to be very interesting. From the raw material being old rags, to the fact that there were “specialized dealers,” to the sorting process, I had no idea exactly how much work went into it. The steeping of the rags, chopping of the rags, and leaving the material in cellars to ferment seems very involved and specific. I did however recognize the use of the term “reams” when referring to stacks of paper, as I work in the Information Center here at Bryant where I handle a lot of paper as I refill the printer each work shift.

The actual definition of paper, found in the reading, “Before Paper,” is, “a substance made in the form of thin sheets or leaves from rags, straw, bark, wood, or other fibrous material, for various uses.” This makes sense to me but based on all the other ways that paper, although some processes do not result in “true paper” has been made makes me consider this definition rather limited. Also from this reading I found it intriguing just how much paper is produced for each individual of the population in the United States (287.5 pounds in 1943). Related to this is that the previously stated “fact” that, “the civilization of a country may be determined by the amount of paper consumed,” although this is not really true anymore due to the large quantities of paper used in the U.S. for, “industrial and utilitarian purposes,” which doesn’t relate at all to the use of paper in printing books and for writing purposes.



Lastly, in the reading, “Common Bond,” I found the list of surfaces that have been used for writing over the course of history to be interesting, as it included, “stone, cured animal skins, woven cloth, flattened metal sheets, peeled tree bark, dried animal bones, seashells, and shards of pottery,” amongst many others. Overall, I found parts of the readings to be eye-opening and greatly enjoyed the process of altering my book, as well as the end result.



11 comments:

  1. I really like how Angela chose to alter a textbook that held this transformative meaning for her. The change of the textbook into a new and improved book seems to reflect her change from the public speaking class into the “more competent and confident version” of herself, which is a really cool idea! I can completely relate to her experience when altering the book of starting out in a particular direction and then partway through getting a completely new idea of what to do, like how she started out trying to cut a circle and then ended up with a fun Ms. Pac-Man. I think that’s one of the best parts of doing this altered book; being able to switch ideas in the middle of the project and just going with inspiration as it hits along the way. In terms of the reading, I agree that it is crazy to hear how much paper per individual of the United States is produced. In thinking of all the ways that paper is used, it makes sense for it to be a lot but it is still surprising when you read it like that, broken down by weight. It really gives a concrete example of how important paper is to us and it is interesting to imagine how much work it would be to produce it if we all still made paper like it was made in the very beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I was reading how Angela went about creating her altered book I remember a passage from Basbanes “Road Trip” on page 55 when he makes us consider the influence paper has on us. He also mentioned that he was very curious how people learned. I remembered this specific passage because Angela explains that she was actually influenced by a housemate to start off her altered book by making it into a circle. From there she slowly learned how she was going to alter the book by building off of her own inspiration. For example, she mentioned that she rounded the bottom corner in sections and it created a sloped edge that she did not anticipate but liked in the end. After Ms.Pac-Man was created she wanted to continue altering the book (learning as she went) by creating a stomach and crumpling up paper to create the ghosts that Ms.Pac-Man eats. Overall, Angela’s process is a great example of how people learn, through trial and error. She showed what Basbanes was trying to explain; that even if you start out with a plan (she listed all the things she wanted to do to her book), in the end the plan may fail (she created a Ms.Pac-Man book instead).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angela did a great job of turning this book into Ms. Pacman. The idea was very original and it is clear she spent a lot of time altering her book. Like Angela, in the beginning I did not know how I wanted to alter my book, and spent time thinking what would look the best. I thought it was very interesting that she chose to use an x-acto knife in order to cut the book. I also like that she was not intending to make the book look like Ms. Pacman, and that it accidently happened once she cut a triangle into the book. Angela also did not realize how much work went into making paper until she started the readings, and found it to be very interesting. When she began discussing the readings she talked about how she knew some of the terminology such as “reams” because of the work she does in the Information Center. I also find it interesting that she finds the definition of paper to be limited because there are so many ways to make paper regardless if it’s not “true paper”. Overall, I think Angela did a really good job with her altered book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angela’s book altering project was so creative and the end result was very cool. Looking at the final product, you wouldn’t even know what book it started as which is impressive. Also, the book choice was a good idea because altering a book from a class that challenged you gave you a chance to show that you conquered it and fully went out of your comfort zone. This also showed that the paper itself had some type of meaning to her life. The way the readings we had are written gives paper and papermaking a really meaningful story so this book altering went well with that idea. In response to your reflections on the readings, I also felt the same in that I never knew exactly what went into paper making and how involved the process is. I also found the wide variety of paper making materials interesting. In our lifetime we have always referred to paper as “trees” and try to recycle it in order to save the trees, yet there is so much more to paper than that. Though Angela mentions that she feels the definition of paper given is limited, I feel as though today the definition is much more limited. Most people probably don’t think of paper as made from all of the substances in the definition written about in “Before Paper” which shows just how much more limited it has become over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angela clearly had a fun time altering her public speaking textbook, which turned out great. It means a lot that she was able to connect her project to a personal challenge she faced, yet also accomplished. While most people are often nervous of public speaking, Angela was able to channel those emotions into a creation that she will probably remember the next time she speaks in front of a group. Similar to myself, I was very unsure how to begin this project as we were not given too much direction. However, Angela did a great job applying various “art actions” to her project. The Ms. Pac-Man idea is super creative and adding the balls of paper into her stomach is something I definitely would not have thought of. Like Angela, I was also interested in the readings that discussed the description of how paper was made. As a society, we often overlook many details inscribed into inventions. This may be due to our overly “busy” lifestyles, where we often forget to think about the process of something. Angela also talks about the various mediums used prior to the invention of paper. I thought it was very interesting to understand how people utilized whatever means they could in order to write down their thoughts and feelings they believed were important.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how much fun Angela had while altering her book! Just by looking at the cover of the book makes you want to dive further in and explore all the alterations that she completed within her book. Her altered book seems very creative and unique. It's great that she was able to connect with her book on a more personal aspect because of the public speaking class she took at Bryant. The idea to tear a page out and paint it yellow, thus creating Mrs. Pac-Man is very creative and out of the book. I can agree with Angela that at first I was a bit reserved on how to alter the book as there was real instructions on how to do it so the fact that she was able to emerge herself into the project and create a Mrs. Pac-Man out of her book is very impressive. In response to your readings, I agree on how we often don't care about the process of paper making, we care more about the final product once it is on our hands. The explanation of how paper was made really puts things in perspective on how far we've come with technology and all that it can do for us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Angela’s altered book surprised me when I first saw the pictures she took. When we were first giving this assignment, I had pretty quickly an idea in my head as to what my final product might look like. After much tweaking and altering, I had my finished altered book that looked almost exactly as I had pictured it in my mind and that was that. However, it was only until I saw what had once been a textbook now as Ms. Pac-Man that I realized the true power and significance of the book altering process. The fact that up until a few weeks ago Ms. Pac-Man was and always had been a textbook on public speaking demonstrates not only man’s ability to create, but also paper’s ability to adapt. I also appreciated the irony of Angela using a book that teaches students about public speaking. Although unconventional, Angela has in a way fulfilled her public speaking course with this alteration as her own form of expression and public (amongst our class) speech.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it’s interesting that Angela turned her Public Speaking textbook into Ms. Pac-Man. I think it’s kind of funny considering textbooks tend to eat all the energy you have while you read them. So the fact she has a cut out with the white energy pellets in the book is symbolic. Unlike Ana’s and Danah’s textbooks she chose one that had a positive connotation to her college career. While she may not have originally planned Ms. Pac-Man, but I find the greatest ideas come from simply letting your hand guide you. Angela’s creative process is an example of how she and others learn. Sometimes the path is just as important as the destination. In Angela’s case her path was full of obstacles that caused her original plans to fail. It’s amazing to see how precise her cuts with x-acto knife were. You can tell she free styled her book and it’s impressive to see such a creative result that was in no way associated with the original subject matter of the textbook. Angela and I shared the same ideas when it came to the interesting facts of the history of paper. The definition of paper has become too limited, with too many restrictions in what is considered paper.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think its so cool that Angela altered a past textbook of hers. I have had similar experiences in the past that were scary because I was out of my comfort zone, but proved to be one of the best things that I went through because it improved myself for the better. The idea of ms pac man seems like it mustve been difficult to get the exact shape, especially with a book with so many pages. The idea of her stomach being inside the book is great! This is so creative and different, and it is obvious how much thought and meaning went into this book.I also found in the readings about the origin of paper was interesting. Also it was strange to think as paper as not a white sheet, but all different resources (rags, straw, bark, etc) Its fascinating how products start out and the process they go through to be the "norm" that we see them as today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The process that Angela started with to alter her book was very similar to the process I used the whole time. Which was to just go through the book and just experience with different ways to alter the book. However what I like about Angela’s book was that this process ended up turning the book into something else. Through her process she found that the book ended up looking like Pac-Man. When I was altering my book, I didn’t find that it was turning into anything except a destroyed book. I like how she learned through her experience and changed her methods to make the altering easier. My favorite part of Angela’s book was how she cut out the middle of the book like Pac-man’s stomach.
    Similar to Angela, I found the process of making paper very interesting as well. I also really liked her connection between a country’s civilization to the amount of paper that is consumed. I did not think about this very much until I re read it I her post and it makes perfect sense because paper is representation of history and the more civilized a society the more history they have to convey.

    ReplyDelete