The first reading I read was Hunter’s article, where he proceeded to
destroy my belief that papyrus was not actually a form of paper. The criteria
for “true” paper since it is not “formed from macerated fibre” (6). It is in
fact a product of the plant papyrus’ stalk being cut and made into boards in a
similar fashion as a carpenter would sheets of wood. The result is a glossy
material that is used like paper, also used in that slightly more expensive
card store called Papyrus. The fact that most things I associate as a type of
paper are in fact not, the definition paper was the biggest lesson learned.
Another thing I learned from this reading was that leaves from trees at one
point were used as a writing substance. It is merely shocking because of how
delicate leaves tend to be that they were used as a writing substance.
The next reading was Leburve’s article, which focused mostly on the
progress of paper within Europe. I originally assumed that water was an
essential part of the paper making process, but I didn’t realize that the
quality of water was all that important. The fact that there were strategically
placed paper mills in order to have the best quality of water astounded me.
Though the fact that rags were so essential to Europe’s paper-making process
was far more surprising. This led to paper mills being in the centers of linen
manufacturers since rags were an essential product in the process. So the mills
were planned to be both upstream, near a town, and in the center of the linen
manufactures. I hadn’t realize how the locations of these mills could make or
break their business.
Finally I completed Bashanes’ article and I was drawn to how paper was
used in Japanese Shintoism. The handmade paper of the Japanese paper is washi,
which is a pure white paper. Purity is an essential part of Japanese culture,
so it is not surprising that their paper is viewed in the same light. What I
did not know was that these papers were not made purely white by chemicals. In
fact the bleaching of the paper is a completely natural process. However, washi
means more than just a tool in the culture, but an expression as well. The fact
that paper charms are used to protect people against evil influences proves
that you can’t just simplify washi as paper. It is sacred to them like the
cross is in Christianity.
I chose to work on Holes by
Louis Sachar as my first altered book. I chose this novel instead of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone because
I would rather that book be altered with the different methods I learn by the
end of the semester. After deciding what book I wanted to use I struggled with
how I would alter the book. Originally I was simply going to do acts of random
alterations. I decided to make some alterations that would reference the book
itself and some important facts within it.
Of course that led to what would altercations I would make. Since this
was a small paperback I didn’t want to mess with the cover too much other than
physically marking it. Jerlyn was our little idea factory in the house and she
had constant ideas for alterations. One of her ideas was to rub onions along
the pages of the book, but I decided that I really didn’t want to cry while
making this creative project. One of the first alterations I did decide on was
to incorporate holes within the pages of the novel. At first I thought I would
just incorporate numerous amongst the pages, but then I decided that was not as
in tune with the book as I thought it would be.
I decided to create a cutout in the middle of the book to show the
final quote within the novel. It took a lot longer to cut a hole through around
one hundred pages then I thought, I ended up hacking through most of it. I
ended up with a slightly less evenly cut hole than I wanted, however I did want
to make it a cutout so I planned to glue the pages together. The gluing of this
pages were a lesson in itself. Jerlyn suggested using one of my old
paintbrushes to spread the glue on the pages. I at first attempted to glue
every page slowly together, until I realized that this would be not only a
timely process but a waste of paste. So I held the book closed with my left hand
and glided the glue across the pages and left the book alone for one night.
While the book dried I moved on to making a treasure chest from some
red cardboard in the townhouse. I cut out six small pieces of cardboard and
glued them together to form a 3D cube and then I used marker to make it
resemble a treasure chest. I had originally thought of simply painting the
treasure chest at the bottom of the page, but I had wanted to build as a
creative action, so I decided to make a treasure chest. I let the glue set for
that and returned the next day to glue the treasure chest at the bottom of my
little hole.
I decided to make a few more alterations with paint and a couple of
drawings including one of the deadly yellow spotted lizards in the book. I
decided to write “Beware” above it, to illustrate the warning the campers got
when they were ordered to dig holes. A little red skull on the front
illustrating the fate of most campers at Camp Green Lake. There are a couple of
charcoal footprints because in the end I feel I made a small little treasure
map within the book.



This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI really like the fact that Carmela strategically picked her book. She knew that throughout the semester we would gain valuable tools that would make our second altered book more intricate than the first. I purposely did not alter my second book, Calvin and Hobbes, because I wanted to learn about other techniques as well. My English teacher in high school gave me the book and I wanted to ensure that I alter it in a way that still allows the book to have a special meaning for me. I think it is important for us to see the process of altering books more as transforming, rather than destroying, a book. I also like how Carmela altered her book with the intent to convey a specific message. At first, I was going to randomly alter my book as well, but I realized that once I saw the final product, choosing a theme was the best option. It helps whoever is looking at your book to understand your creative process. I think that her way of illustrating the events in the book really bring the piece to life for the reader. Seeing the spotted lizards really highlight the danger that the characters feel in that part of the story. I believe that Tharp’s Creative Autobiography really helped us set the tone for this assignment in order for us to get the most out of it.
ReplyDeleteMuch like Carmela, I too strategically picked my first book to alter based on the fact that I wanted to be more comfortable changing my next one, which was more special to me, using the methods we learned from class. It’s too scary to not know what you’re doing when changing things that are special to you, especially when you know that by waiting you could make it so much better using the skills we will learn in class. I also agree with the fact that she opted not to make random changes to her book, but instead decide upon a theme and go from there. I didn’t even start my alterations before I had a theme and an idea of what I wanted my book to look like and portray to others. I feel that it’s important to convey the message the book gives, especially in novels. I really like that she decided to make holes, as is the namesake of her book, in it because of that, especially since she made it display the final quote of the book. She found ways to bring the book to life, as Jennifer mentioned, through giant spotted lizards, footprints, and even a big red treasure chest in the hole. I really admire that the end product of her alterations wasn’t just a book, but more a product of visual art.
ReplyDeleteI like the fact that Carmela decided to think of alterations she could make to her book that would fit in with the theme of the book itself. She decided to make some of her alterations center around the final quote of the novel as well as tie in some of the story with her alterations. I liked how she decided to cut a huge hole in the middle of her book and adding a treasure chest inside representing the storyline. I on the other hand decided to go about altering my book in a different way; I decided to try more random alterations to get a feel of what it was actually like to make changes to a book. Like Jennifer and Renate, I hope that by the next book we have to alter, I will have better techniques to alter the book with and a better comprehensive idea of what I want to do with my book. A point that Carmela brings up is how essential water is to the paper making process. Not only was water so important to the process, but the quality of that water had to be just as important. It’s amazing how much there is to learn about the process of making paper and paper itself.
ReplyDeleteI think Carmela really brought this project to another level. The directions were to simply alter the book, however, the fact that Carmela wanted to stay true to the plot of the story I thought was brilliant. The book is one that is supposed to mean something to each individual so by bringing the main points to life really gave the book another dimension. I thought she was very smart for not simply utilizing different art actions but rather putting thought into how she wanted to change the book. I too altered my book in a way that really stayed true to the authors work so I appreciated how she did the same. I thought it was also intriguing how the quality of water is just as important as having access to it. Just simply hearing that water is needed, the reader is not able to comprehend the necessity of it. In fact, by having clearer water, you are able to produce a more quality item which is important especially when transcribing ideas that hold some importance to individuals. In addition, an abundance of rags were also essential for the production of paper. It was rags that were beaten down to become the final product and because of this, Lebvre writes about the Rag and Bone Men who basically were the collectors of old rags.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteCarmela clearly took her time planning out her project and the different aspects she wanted to include in it, some reflecting the reading and others not. She worked through trial and error and even through her errors she was able to turn them into something she found helped tell the books story. Holes was one of my favorite reads when I was younger so I liked how Carmela was still able to bring out the best part of the story through the images and shapes she put throughout the book. She goes into talking about the importance of water in paper making and how there is truly so much about the process of paper making that we have yet to discover. I liked how she brought in facts about the Japanese culture and how the purity of the paper play a key role in how it is created. The fun facts along with the well thought out alterations of the book made for a very unique blog entry. By choosing a different book than her original one it seems that Carmela is interested in taking what we learn in class and adding onto her book, making it more unique and altered than it was before. The attention to detail was an important part of her work and it was evident that it helped to make her book and her write up that much more successful.
ReplyDeleteFirst, off, I really like Carmela’s altered book! Carmela put a great deal of thought behind selecting which book she was going to alter. She chose Holes because she knew throughout the semester, we would be learning new techniques and methods to book altering. She went into the alterations blind at first, but I liked how she chose to highlight important facts within the book itself. I really liked how Carmela chose to make holes in the book because well the title of the book is holes. I differ with Carmela when she strategically chose the book because I wanted to choose a book that I loved growing up, and that wasn’t just strictly words. Carmela had a deeper outlook than myself in altering her book, and I loved that! Like Jennifer Manni, she chose a book that had a lot of meaning to her and she wanted to alter it in a way that would still have meaning to her in the end! A final point Carmela talked about was the essential use of water in the paper process. There is so much that goes into making paper!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed Carmela’s altered book. I can relate to her because in the beginning of the book altering process when I also was unsure if I would randomly alter my book, or tie them together a bit more like she had done. It was impressive to see Carmela stick to the story of Holes a bit, while also adding her own creative flavor. I think it is helpful to have a vision for the project and move from there, but I can also see how spontaneity can come into play with this project and yield an impressive outcome. I would say my project had a little bit of both aspects, opposed to a more planned-out altering that Carmela has exhibited. Carmela had a strong connection to this book and I think it’s really cool that she had also planned to save her Harry Potter book for later in the semester when we become more familiar with the art actions and techniques. When reading Leburve’s article I also was amazed by the importance of the quality of water and rags and how this affects the finished product. Due to these facts, there is no wonder why these paper mills were constructed near linen manufacturers. Back then, the transportation of raw materials was much more difficult when compared with today. It was in the best interest of these paper manufacturers to be located near their key materials. Carmela has mentioned her interest in Basbane’s article regarding the Japanese handmade paper washi. This portion of the reading solidified notion that paper making is indeed a craft. Paper is and was much more than just a writing medium in many parts of the world.
ReplyDeleteI really like how Carmela altered her book by using 3D treasure chest box. I took a similar approach to my altered book and used a 3D technique to make my book stand out. Carmela did a great job talking about the progress that paper went through in Europe. Like Carmela, I was extremely surprised that the type of water that went into the creation of paper was extremely important to the final product. The way in which mills were strategically placed came as a major surprise to me however, once understanding why the type of water is so important it is quite event that they placed the mills near sources of water. It was very creative how Carmela decided to follow along with the plot of the book and make changes that related to what the text was saying. I never thought about doing this however, it makes great sense to have some strategic method when altering the book. It was evident that Carmela planned out her work and had a vision for what she wanted the book to look like. I regret someone of the alteration that I did to my book and feel as if I took the time like Carmela did to plan out my steps then I would have had a better final product.
ReplyDelete