Paper
making originated in China around A.D. 105. Cai Lun had “initiated the idea of
making paper from the bark of trees, hemp, old rags, and fishing nets” (Common
Bond, p.7). “An accurate definition might describe paper as a composite of
water and pulverized cellulose fragments screened through a sieve and dried
into a flat film” (Common Bond, p.9). Before the invention of paper, many
different types of surfaces were used over the centuries. These included woven
cloth, flattened metal sheets, peeled tree bark, stone, cured animal skins,
dried animal bones, seashells, and shards of pottery. In Egypt, papyrus was
used heavily in the making of recording surfaces. Strips of the marsh reed,
measuring nearly 20 feet tall, were sliced, cut, and dried and placed in two
layers. These layers were moistened, flattened under pressure, and smoothed
into sheets that were then pasted together and rolled up into compact rolls.
The Chinese made their paper a little bit differently. Materials such as frayed
rope, cloth scraps, hemp, and fishnets were washed, soaked and beaten to a pulp
with a wooden mallet. The ingredients were then placed in a vat of pure water
and stirred. Next, a scoop of the slurry was poured over a screen of woven
cloth that had been suspended between a brace of poles. Excess liquid was drained
and the newly formed paper was left to dry. The interlocking fibers from the
cellulose found in plants is left behind and this is what creates the paper. Essentially
what the Chinese discovered was the process of hydrogen bonding, or the process
of molecular cohesion. Over the coming years, paper making has taken on many
techniques as well as utilized an array of different ingredients. However, the
fundamentals of the process still remain the same till this day: clean water,
cellulose fiber, and a screen mold.
I
find it interesting that paper is able to shape a culture as well as a way of
life. Many different surfaces were used before the paper we know and use today.
Hieroglyphics and other characters and symbols were written upon surfaces
including walls of caves, wood, metal, stone, leaves, barks, bamboo, cloths, ceramics,
papyrus and parchment. Tools such as knives, sticks, and chisels were used to
etch symbols into these surfaces. The camel hair brush revolutionized the way
symbols and other written characters were transcribed on to surfaces. This
allowed for ink to be easily painted onto a surface. The animal hair brush was
the instrument of choice when paper arrived. I found it interesting when
reading Chinese, the characters are read from top to bottom vertically as
opposed to left to right horizontally. Chinese characters were written on
narrow strips of bamboo fastened together with pieces of twine. These
restrictions resulted in the characters being written and read from top to
bottom. Paper has become an essential in everyday lives. “The low cost of paper
and flexibility of paper made it ideally suited to the making of fans,
umbrellas, lanterns, and kites” (Common Bond, p.12). Paper has also made great
strides in personal hygiene with the creation of disposable toilet paper. Paper
was even used to make light summer clothes as well as body armor for warriors. At
funerals, the bereaved would take representations of horses, camels, servants,
armor, and fake money made out of cotton-paper and place it alongside the
corpse. Both the corpse and the paper figures would be burned together. Lastly,
paper was used in the wrapping of packages as well as building and binding.
When you really take the time to think about it, paper is a product taken for
granted in our society. It is essential to everyday life and it’s hard to think
of a world without it.
Reading about Danah’s experience altering her textbook from her least favorite class made me a little jealous I didn’t do the same thing! It’s nice to be able to do some of the destroying actions from the list we made as a class on a book that probably gave a lot of stress for a semester. I had a similar experience in figuring out what to do to my book, where I also tried to do a lot of the different actions from the list just to see how everything would turn out. However I tried to relate some things back to my book, like when I burned the pages when there was a fire in the book, just as Danah related hers by cutting a hollow box to represent the ‘nothing’ she learned from the class her textbook was used in. One thing Danah mentioned in regards to the reading that I had forgotten about was how the Chinese way of reading was influenced by the paper source they had available to them. Obviously the resources surrounding people can really affect the culture and how it evolves, but I had just never given a thought to why Chinese reads differently than English and I thought that was a very thought provoking piece of information from the text.
ReplyDeleteAfter reading through Danah’s process of altering her book I love the metaphor she has about the reason she created an empty hole in her book and how it represents how much she learned from that class; nothing. She also mentioned a lot of the ways paper is used that we take for granted. For example, wrapping packages, toilet paper, etc. She also mentions that our society, as a whole, takes paper for granted because it is so widely available now. I know that I did; before reading Basbanes I had no idea how important paper was in the colonies during the formation of the United States of America, when it wasn’t so plentiful. Basbanes helped me better understand why the Stamp Act outraged so many. Also, one of the most fascinating things was learning that during a key time in the war unbound copies of Gun Wad Bible were repurposed into munitions casings (Basbanes, 85). We, as a society, can’t comprehend how important paper was to the colonies just a few hundred years ago. That is why I like Danah’s book so much because through her frustration with the class she turned the book into a metaphor that we need to stop wasting paper just because we have an abundant amount of it. I have had several classes where I had to buy a book and I only opened it once or twice. In this day and age there has got to be a better way to conserve paper.
ReplyDeleteAfter reading Danah’s reflection on her altered book and seeing the images she posted, I thought she did a very good job with the assignment. I loved that she cut a box into the book because of the “nothing” that she learned in her finance class. It was a really interesting way to tie a metaphor into this assignment. It is also interesting that when she dipped her book in the water it made it become much heavier, and took a lot longer to dry. She was very creative when she decided to rip out pages of the book in order to make it dry faster. Prior to this assignment Danah had enjoyed the outcome more than the process, and altering this book changed that for her like it did for me. Danah brings up an interesting point when she begins to discuss why in Chinese you read from top to bottom. I never would have known without these readings that this is because of the bamboo they were using to write. Since the bamboo strips were so narrow, they had no other choice than to write top to bottom. It is clear that the materials they had available to them influence the way they were able to write, and as a result created paper.
ReplyDeleteThe way Danah destroyed this finance book was awesome. I too would have loved to use this book for an alteration project. It is interesting that you brought in the idea of enjoying the process or the end result and how your view on this changed during this process. I also generally like the end result, but through altering my book I found that I liked the process as well. Looking back, this process could be endless and you could continue altering to use all of the different art actions we discussed. I think that’s what makes the process better in this case. However, once you get to the end result it’s almost not satisfying because you can keep going with the process which was a little frustrating as well. The fact that Danah soaked the book in water initially was really cool and showed fully her distaste for the book. I think I would have been nervous to do that to mine because I wouldn’t know what the result would be like. But I guess that’s what this process was about. We learned to just go with the flow and do whatever actions we wanted and in the end the result was going to be unique and significant. I liked Danah’s point that paper is able to “shape a culture as well as a way of life”. The readings showed us that paper really engulfed a culture and a society because everyone was involved in the lengthy process. Also, each region had different materials and different ways to go about making their paper which kept it unique to each culture. This is a really important aspect to note as you think of paper as a discovery that helped shaped our world over time.
ReplyDeleteI think Danah did amazing in her alteration of her Finance book. Like Danah, I hated Finance and it was one of the worst classes I took while at Bryant, especially because of the "nothing" that I was able to learn throughout the entire semester. The fact that her book is completely unrecognizable even from somebody who took the course and used the same book shows how much she enjoyed the process and how creative she got with it. I too often prefer the end result rather than the process, but I can see how in this occasion the process was way better then the end result. I liked reading her process of alteration and the thoughts she has while doing it. Thinking of the "nothing" that she learned was very creative and a nice interpretation of courses that one is not interested in taking. In regards to the readings, the idea of how paper becomes part of a culture is very true as it became the way of life for some many people in multiple communities across the world. This is a statement that is extremely important because if we think about it we utilize paper in our everyday life and it has very much has become part of our culture to include paper in the majority of our daily tasks.
ReplyDeleteDanah definitely took a different approach to this project than I did. I focused more on the meaning the book and transforming it into a completely new product, while applying only a select few “art actions.” On the other hand, Danah based her project off of performing as many “art actions” she could, in order to achieve her final result. It is clear that because Danah had negative feelings towards this book, she performed more aggressive actions in this process. Some of these actions included cutting, burning, ripping, and soaking. I thought it was fascinating how she related performing various art actions to stepping out of her comfort zone, in regards to art. This is something that I did not do. I feel as though I performed more conservative art actions, which may be due to my inexperience with art. Similar to other students, Danah also wrote about alternative mediums used as paper prior to its invention. I believe this fact was both interesting and surprising to all of us as we never really stop to think what society’s used prior to the origin of paper. She also covers the art of paper making from various countries, including China and Egypt. I also thought it was interesting to see how the fundamentals of the paper making process remain the same today.
ReplyDeleteDanah’s project must have felt great to complete. As a non-business major at Bryant, I can understand a slight dislike (or maybe not so slight) for subjects such as Finance. Though it seems that Danah’s hate toward Finance was the driving force behind her alteration, I think Danah’s final result produced much more than a torn up pile of illegible textbook pages; it produced catharsis. This is a great example of altering as a form of healing. Similar to “panty-pulping,” this project took a traumatic (and yes, classes can be traumatic) experience and turned it into a moment of pure and simple release. It does go to show you, though, how easy it is to not only destroy a textbook but how easy it is to erase content. Paper is versatile. It is our ability to record and analyze history on paper (whether they are slates, papyrus, or college ruled) that defines our unique superiority on Earth. Whether or not Danah had this in mind while she was altering her book, however, does not matter because the beauty of paper is its ability to singularly affect people.
ReplyDeleteFirst thing I noticed in Danah’s alterations was the hole she cut in the middle of the book. I laughed a little bit when Danah admitted it was a representation of how much she learned in that class overall. Which is a good way to talk about how paper is wasted in college. Every year a student has a textbook that they never use. It’s a useless printed book that has no value after the class it was purchased for. It’s so bad that there are usually textbook recycling bins during finals in order to avoid books being thrown away. At one point in time paper was considered such a valuable product, it is shocked to see how obsolete it is now. Paper, at one point, wasn’t as plentiful as it is in modern times. Danah thinning out her textbook is also a representation of how much of the textbook was actually used in class. The shift to eBooks would not only be an ecological decision, but it would keep society from wasting too much paper. It is easy to take for granted something you never knew to be in limited qualities. Looking at Danah’s book, I can see she thoroughly enjoyed altering her textbook, especially when she got to cut the rectangular hole. .
ReplyDeleteTo put it simply, this was Awesome! It's funny how one student can alter a book she loved, and she altered one that she hated. This is a great way to get some closure after a horrible class. You can literally see how much she hated and felt about this class which is great. Its a very purposeful destructive alteration which is really cool to see since most people have chosen a book to alter that they have great love for. I love that she soaked and burned it, as well as changed the title on the spine of the book to "Worst book every written". The emptiness inside showing how she learned nothing is a good touch as well. I like that she pointed out that paper shaped our culture and way of life. It is so crazy to think something that we wouldnt give a second thought to has such an extreme impact on who we are and how we became that way.
ReplyDeleteDanah was really smart to alter a book that she hated because then there is no hesitation to destroy it. Like she mentioned, I’m sure it is very therapeutic to destroy something you hated so much. I thought it was really funny how she cut out the middle of the book to represent the “nothing” that she had learned in the class. It is interesting to think about soaking an entire book and the affect water has on paper. When I was altering my book I threw it in the snow which got some of the pages wet, but not the entire thing. I also never realized or even thought about the fact that paper would be easier to cut when it was wet, so that’s something new I learned from her experience.
ReplyDeleteDanah explained the paper making process very well. As she mentioned, the connection between culture and paper is something that I find very interesting as well. Before paper became more standardized worldwide, every culture and society had a different way or at least a different version of creating their writing medium. From animal skins to bamboo, there was a very wide variety of mediums but every culture had one. It just shows the importance of a writing medium before paper was even created.