Sunday, February 15, 2015

Jennifer Manni Reflection





I enjoyed reading the perspectives of Lebvre, Hunter, and Basbanes about the history of paper, specifically in the context of the Chinese, Japanese, and Dutch cultures. By completing the readings before altering the book, I was able to appreciate the process more. Basbanes emphasizes that paper is one of the most advanced technological innovations. He compares it to gunpowder, printing, and the magnetic compass. He claims that these inventions “changed the whole face and state of things around the world” (Basbanes, 4). He goes on to say that “the Japanese have found in their paper a vehicle for the entire range of human expression, from the most noble, religious, and artistic manifestations to the most common, everyday thought” (28). He humanizes the paper by making it appear to be a vessel of human emotion, rather than just an inanimate object.


Hunter’s work coincides with Basbanes’ thoughts by explaining that one of the earliest forms of paper was used to record the sayings of Confucius, as well as religious writings. He details that the Chinese used calligraphy to express their thoughts (61). I was unaware that the Chinese practiced calligraphy. In fact, that is one of the words I used in my list of ways to alter a book. While the first two authors discuss the creative aspects involved in the early paper industry, Levre mentions the hardships involved. I did not realize that the paper industry experienced turmoil, such as being banned from being imported to Holland in 1671 (43). I took the viewpoints of these authors into consideration before deciding how to alter my book.


For my assignment, I chose to alter Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul on Love and Friendship. This book was very important to me in high school and it helped me get through tough times. Looking at the book now, however, I noticed that there were quite a few depressing stories in the book. I decided to alter the book and make it focus on the positive aspects of life. I used letters cut out from a magazine in order to change the title of the book to Chicken Soup for the Optimistic Soul on Love and Friendship.

I then cut out the negative entries, and emphasized the positive ones. For example, one of the poems that I really like is entitled “Two of Me.” It emphasizes how great love is. I wrote an E.E. Cummings quote on the page that I believe meshes well with what the author is trying to say, “Love is the voice under all silences, the hope which has no opposite in fear; the strength so strong mere force is feebleness: the truth more first than sun, more last than star.” I believe that the quote complements the entry well and emphasizes the emotion behind it. On another page entitled “You Are All of This to Me,” I emphasized the romantic aspect by adding the Nicholas Sparks quote, “Love is like the wind. You cannot see it, but you can feel it.”

Although I focused on making the tone of the altered book an optimistic one, I thought that it was important to include an entry entitled “Breathing.” It is about breaking up, so I drew teardrops, a broken heart, and poured leftover cooking wine on the pages to really capture the sadness behind ending a relationship. Breakups are messy and the wine takes the authors message to the next level. Despite the author’s negative tone, at the corner of the page, I added a Walt Disney quote that puts a positive spin on a negative situation, “We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we’re curious. Curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.”

Throughout this process, I really focused on positivity. I enjoyed looking for quotes and ways make the book pop. I also added personal touches such as small drawings that go along with the author’s message.



I altered the book in a way that a piece called “The Graduation Dance” is last. I believe that is appropriate since I am graduating in May. I drew a picture of a graduation cap with a tassel and wrote “2015” in a large font. Finally, I added the quote, “Education is the most powerful weapon, which you use to the change the world.” I found this quite on Pinterest and thought that it was a symbolic way to finish the assignment.

People often take paper for granted, and see it as something that is in unlimited supply. As the readings have taught us, this is not the case. The readings and the creative process involved in this activity helped me to appreciate both the history behind paper and the process of altering a book. Ultimately, the Tharp exercise helped me to get into the creative mindset. By remembering my first creative moment coloring, I was able to tap into this creativity while altering my book.


9 comments:

  1. Jennifer, the readings also helped me to appreciate the process of altering my book. Paper did change the world, as different locations used many different types of materials to write on. With the invention of paper, the world started to use only paper and eventually people started to produce more it and improve the quality of it. For the assignment, it was a great idea to change the book and make it more positive. I liked how you used letters from a magazine to cover up the title and make it “Optimistic”. It was also awesome of you to mesh a quote from E.E. Cummings that would go well with a poem in the book. You also didn’t just remove all of the depressing aspects out of the book, you added drawings and quotes around one to lighten the mood. This shows your ability to be creative by adding your own touch to the book and finding a different way to change something other than just removing it. It was cool for you to add in your own experience into this assignment with graduating this May. You seem to be very creative and a great drawer, I can’t wait to see your other work you create from this class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked how Jennifer wrote about the writings on the paper instead of the making of paper itself. I was more fascinated on the process of paper making that I actually do not remember the quote and sentiment she shared from the Basbane article. The way that the Japanese believed that paper was a “vehicle for the entire range of human expression”, I thought was profound. The fact that paper has the ability to house some of the greatest literary thoughts and ideas but also the more mundane aspects of life was brilliant because yes paper itself is an extraordinary invention but what is able to be placed on the paper is simply unique. Jennifer’s creation, I thought, was really thoughtful and inspiring. I liked how she took something that was mostly negative and turned it into something positive for all. I remember reading chicken soup books when I was younger and for some reason, even though there is a mix of positive and negative stories, the negative ones kind of jump out at you more. So the fact that she highlighted the affirmative stories and made it more optimistic was a nice, distinctive design. I also like how she incorporated meaningful quotes that in a way made the stories more relatable because it shows just how much these subjects resonate with everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer I think you did a great job of taking something that had a lot of meaning to you when you were younger and changing it into something that has a lot of meaning to you now. I am all about positivity and I love the quotes that you picked for the optimistic side of things, I think they really represent what you were trying to display. The slight touches you made with the roses and the tear drops really emphasize the importance of those particular excerpts. From what you took away from the readings it was clear that some people had a hard time adjusting to the new technology, which at this time was paper. It is human nature to have a difficult time being fearful or even resentful of things that are knew and unheard of. This technological advance however was so huge that is can, without a doubt, be compared to gunpowder and the compass which have also made lasting impressions on our daily life today. Paper has had such a positive impact on the world we live in today, so it’s only fitting that you based your project around creativity. You put a lot of effort into this and you did a great job taking what you learned in the readings and putting it into something very powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would agree with Basbanes regarding paper becoming one of the most advanced technological innovations. I remember reading how paper was used to recite the sayings of Confucius. The Islamic World began to use paper for religious purposes. “The first Muslim caliph, Abu Bakr, decreed that the Koran be written down as it had been received, and he appointed a committee of “memorizers” to prepare a comprehensive version” (Basbanes, 50). Paper seemed to be a very efficient way to not only record history but to use as a reference for religious and other reasons. Jenn, I liked how you read the articles before altering your book. This must have given you more ideas. I liked how you decided to focus on the positive aspects of life. I really liked how you were able to integrate quotes into the pages of the book. The drawings you created really stand out on the page and help the reader determine what the content may be about. I liked how you kept the one story about breakups. While you chose to fill your book with positivity, I think this shows that nobody is perfect and we all have things that happen to us. My favorite part was how you saved “The Graduation Dance” as the last piece in the book. I am graduating this May as well and I cannot believe it is already my last semester at Bryant. You are very creative and I can’t wait to see what you come up with for the rest of the class.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennifer, I’m impressed with how your project turned out. I feel like you looked beyond just the basic art actions that we would all initially think of and really transformed this book. I loved how you incorporated meaningful quotes, pictures and symbols to really make this book something new and unique. The fact that this book was so meaningful to you and you took what you gained from it—love, positivity, and optimism—in order to change its meaning.

    It was a great idea to go through all of the readings first and really understand the history of paper and books in order to give more meaning to this project. In my reading of the different works I don’t think I focused on the quote that you added in your blog about paper being “a vessel of human emotion”, but the fact that you highlighted that aspect of paper and let that influence your project was awesome. While the book you chose certainly already touched upon human emotion, your alterations allowed the paper to take on that role of housing human emotion and transforming the work. I thought that was very insightful and a great use of your book and creativity in this project. Finally, to go off what someone else also commented on, great use of “The Graduation Dance” as the last piece in your book. That stood out to me, as a senior as well, and though I don’t like the reminder that college is almost over, it definitely was a good ending for your project.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like how Jen chose to redesign the theme of the book to be optimistic rather than pessimistic like it was originally. The way she cut out the negative entries symbolizes taking the negative energy out of your life, maybe negative energy that she felt in high school, which I think is really creative. She transformed the book in more subtle, content related ways, where as in my own book I went for drastic physical alterations. I like how she focused on the meaning behind the stories, emphasized the positive entries and used quotes to enhance the messages the author intended. I also agree that we take paper for granted, and that as it is a limited resource with a rich history we definitely should not. As far as the readings go, I enjoyed learning that the Chinese practiced calligraphy to express their thoughts and that paper was used to record the sayings of Confucius. I also did not know that paper was banned from import to Holland at one point, nor did I consider paper to be an advanced technological innovation. I also feel that it is ironic how each of us is doing reading all this information about paper, on paper, and that we are contributing to the issue of paper being a limited resource as we take this class.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jennifer’s project instantly reminded me of the Panty Pulping project. When I first heard about it was year or two ago from Professor Hasseler, I thought it was an interesting (if not a little embarrassing) form of cathartic therapy. Panty pulping is when the victims take a pair or underwear as a symbolic representation of their abuse and then pulverize it into paper as a transformative process. Jennifer took the same form of healing but changed the subject from victims of sexual abuse to one of the hardest phases of a person’s life: adolescence. Reading books like “Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul” can be very comforting for many teens. Sometimes, however, instead of healing or growing through these book, the stories can be a little depressing as Jennifer mentioned. Her idea to alter the books message as opposed to the book itself really struck me. I think this not only gave Jennifer a great final project, but it also gave her a book she can keep and cherish to spread positivity to maybe her own children one day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like how Jennifer pointed out that Basbanes humanizes paper to be a vessel of human emotion, rather than just an inanimate object. This way of thinking gives paper more of a purposeful meaning and value when it is attached to emotion. If more people thought like Basbanes maybe we wouldn’t be so quick to use, re-use, and dispose of paper. Maybe we would treat paper with more respect, instead of not thinking twice of our actions and treating it as if it is an inanimate object. During Jennifer’s book altering process she said she focused on positivity. She used the words on the page of her book and saw them as the vessel of human emotion. She altered the words to create meaning, to create a positive meaning. In this she have the pages in her book new meaning and a new value to her. I think Jennifer’s was of altering her pages and adding quotes to put a positive spin on negative situations was very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed the fact that Jennifer emphasized that paper was part of a human emotion because this is very true. Many people utilize paper for writing, art, etc that leaves a piece of them with everything they create. Its really great that she took a book that can be quite depressing and turned it into a positive. This is obvious by the title change right on the cover. It is always best to take a negative experience and turn it into something that you learn and grow from. I loved that she continued this theme throughout the book, highlighting all the positive instead of negative. I think she did a really great job to something that was close to her in her past. It was great that she finished with something that is current in her life, because this book was a part of her from high school through the end of college.

    ReplyDelete