After
reading the three articles for class I can recall a couple key facts that stuck
out to me. To begin, I never considered
the fact that the amount of paper produced was restricted by the raw materials
available at the time. During the years
between the 15th and 18th centuries people would make
careers out of collecting rags (raw materials).
Rags were very important to the paper industry and the demand for them
was higher than the supply. Many
countries forbid the importation or export of rags from their region. For example, in German, they designated
special zones for collecting rags so that only local rags could be used to make
local paper. I never realized how dependent the paper industry was on this
outside factor. Another important factor
when producing paper was water. After
reading this article, I learned that water was very important to the paper
making process. Therefore, people would
make paper at the beginning of the river, away from all the in-purifications
that resulted downstream; the purer the water the better the final product,
paper.
The second
article, shocked me when I learned that paper was responsible for the only
deaths on American soil during World War II caused by enemy action. I was not aware of this incident and the
major role paper played in it. More
specifically, Japan decided to construct balloons out of paper that would house
anti-personnel bombs. These balloons were
then launched on November 3, 1944 until April 5, 1945 from three coastal
location in Japan. They travelled across
the Pacific Ocean by wind and landed in cities, forests and farmlands within
America. This project was named Fu-Go
Weapon and set-up seven manufacturing centers around Tokyo to assemble the,
thirty-two foot in diameter, balloons that were made out of handmade
paper. In order to ensure that they did
not deflate before arriving in America, six hundred sheets of paper were glued
together in a lamination fashion. The
paper needed to be strong but light so they made it out of Kozo. It took about two years to complete this
project. After the balloons were
launched there were confirmed sightings throughout the American Continent. Unfortunately, an embargo was placed to
censor all the details in order to stop Japan from learning details about the
raids, which is why many Americans do not know about it. Miraculously, there was only one balloon that
caused fatalities out of nearly nine thousand balloons. It occurred on May 5, 1945, near the Gearhart
Mountains when a women and five children came across one in the mountains and
pulled on a dangling line that triggered the bomb; killing them all. I had no idea that this every occurred during
WWII and how important paper was to the Japanese offense strategy.
The last
article made me realized that depending on the type of paper a region had
determined their bookmaking process. For
example, Hunter explains that there are two distinct bookmaking techniques. The first is Oriental; they only use one side
of the paper because it takes delicate wood-blocks to make the impressions due
to the fact that the paper made in China and Japan was soft and pliable, making
the paper absorbent. However, the second
method, European, used both sides of the paper.
This is due to the fact that the raw materials for Europe’s papermaking
industry was macerated linen and cotton cloth.
Therefore, the paper was hard with an impervious surface ideal for
writing with a quill pen. Therefore,
they used metal types to make heavy indentations on both sides of the
paper. Overall, I learned that both
civilizations created paper for their personal needs and the resources they had
available. This intern influenced there
method of bookmaking.
Looking
back at my alteration process I can tell my method was very analytical as well
as creative. I began with Curious George
Goes Camping. I knew right away that I
wanted to rebind the book by attempting to make it into a hard cover book. I considered several mediums such as wood,
cardboard, metal, poster board foam and tough construction paper when deciding how
to create the hard cover effect. I
decided that the most convenient and easily assessable material for me to use
would be cardboard. I also knew that I
wanted to incorporate a second book (Mother Goose) into this book.
At first I thought about binding
both books together into one book.
However, I felt this approach was not encompassing the project and I was
instead altering two books. As I was
flipping through the pages trying to decide how to continue I realized that the
nursery rhyme Jack and Jill correlated perfectly to what was going on during
pages 16 and 17 of Curious George. George saw a fire in the distance and climbed
down a tree to get a pail of water (very similar to the rhyme). Therefore, I decided to cut the rhyme out of
Mother Goose and glue it into Curious George.
All of a sudden I realized every turn of the page for Curious George
some way or another related to a nursery rhyme in Mother Goose. Therefore, Curious George Goes Camping with
Mother Goose was created.
In the end, it took two attempts to
bind the book with yarn because my first attempt was too tight and the pages
didn’t flip nicely. Therefore, I rebound
the book keeping the pages open. Lastly,
after the book was bound I decided to do some alterations to the inside of the
book in order to practice more of the art actions discussed in class. I experimented with charcoal pencils,
markers, crayons, highlighters, and colored pencils. Overall, I learned a lot about myself from
altering the book. Mainly that I am
unable to destroy a book so much that it is unrecognizable and instead wanted
to create something that is still readable, just in a different sense then when
I began.
I really like how Jerilyn focused on rags as a raw material for making paper in ancient times. This reminds me of the Peace Paper Project that came to our Creativity and the Arts class. The people involved in that organization show that even today clothing, or rags, can be transformed into something useful. Something that may be deemed otherwise unusable can be used for the creative process. I also think that it was a great idea to combine Curious George and Mother Goose. These are two childhood favorites for many people, and weaving them together into a cohesive story must have taken a substantial amount of time and attention to detail. In her blog entry, Jerilyn really focused on the history from our class articles. This is very important to her altered book because before paper and bookmaking were finalized, children were not able to read heartwarming stories such as Curious George and Mother Goose. As Basbanes stated, and I mentioned in response to Nicole’s blog entry, “paper allowed for entirely new means of assisted thought (notation) that did not rely on memory alone and was portable enough to always be within arm’s reach” (49). We take for granted the concept of reading a story to our siblings or loved ones. Something that has become so routine for us in today’s society was once impossible.
ReplyDeleteI really like how Jerilyn decided to alter her book; I think that deciding to re-bind her book made it have a completely new feel to it. I also liked how she realized that a lot of the pages in the Curious George book related to another book she had. Since they were both interrelated, she decided to add pieces from Mother Goose into Curious George to make a new comprehensive book that incorporated them both. I would be very interested in looking through her new altered book to see how she incorporated the other book into the story of Curious George. Jerilyn mentions how she learned about how the production of paper was limited by the raw materials available at the time. She also explains the importance of rags and water in the paper making process. This is further reiterated in the article by Basbanes; “to manufacture paper according to traditional Western methods, a sufficient quantity of rags and an abundant supply of pure water were merely the first requirements; the process also involved such steps as shredding, pulping, rolling, molding, sizing, and dying” (page 74). Not only are rags and pure water an important part in making paper, but there are so many other aspects of the process. The process of making paper is a lot more intricate than one can even begin to imagine.
ReplyDeleteJerilyn took a childhood classic and made it even more appealing! I really liked how she decided to re-bind her book. I really liked how she incorporate a second book to Curious George. Mother Goose is also a popular book. She felt that while flipping through the pages of Curious George Goes Camping, that every turn of the page related to the Mother Goose nursery rhyme. I can relate to Jerilyn when she said that she was unable to destroy a book so much that it was unrecognizable. I didn’t want to alter my book so much that if someone was to pick up the book and read it, they wouldn’t be able to read the story itself. I read the Curious George books to my niece all of the time, and as Jennifer mentioned we tend to take for granted the concept of reading a story to others. It is so routine to us. When altering my book I did my best to put myself in the shoes of a child. My choice of book, as well as Jerilyn’s book choice is a book for children. I know as a child and still today I am a visual learner. I am not interested in stories without pictures, or power points without pictures, or some kind of color while taking notes. I really enjoyed looking at the pictures of Jerilyn’s book alterations because there was so much color in her alterations! She altered her book very creatively!
ReplyDeleteOne of the things that Jerilyn mentions from the reading is the use of paper in World War II and how it played a role in causing the only deaths on American soil from enemy action at that time. Paper is something that I always think of as fragile and not at all something that I associate with thoughts of war so it is a strange fact that it did cause the deaths of six people. It definitely goes to show that you can’t underestimate the strength of any material, for it’s all about the strategy in which it is put to use. For Jerilyn’s altered book, it was a really unique idea to me that she was able to find excerpts from Mother Goose to associate with all the pages in her Curious George book. It’s funny how books that might not seem to be similar at first glance, can work with each other very nicely if you look a little harder. I think it’s nice that as Jerilyn did not want to totally destroy the book, she was able to find ways instead to enhance it and create a project that is new and refreshing but still retains the spirit of the original book. The book looks like it came out really well!
ReplyDeleteJerilyn did a great job at turning a Curious George story into something more interesting. Instead of using normal cardboard to help with the binding process of the book, she used an Angry Orchard beer box instead. While I don’t think it was intentional, I do find it funny because she altered a children’s book. I also like how she incorporated Mother Goose nursery rhymes into her altered book. She found an awesome way of connecting Jack and Jill to the story of Curious George, and made the rhyme fit into the book. She stated that she learned a lot about herself during this process, and I really liked that she wanted her book to still be recognizable and readable in the end. She brought up an interesting point from the readings, that in every society, papermaking was determined by the raw materials that were available to them at the time. They created paper for their personal needs with the resources they had available. Overall, Jerilyn created a very interesting altered book. She is a good source of inspiration for the next book, when it comes to binding a book to something else.
ReplyDeleteJerilyn did a nice job constructing her modified version of Curious George Goes Camping. Like myself, she took a very analytical approach to designing the new version of this book. I thought it was a neat idea that she combined two books into this project. This was out-of-the-box thinking and was definitely something I would not have considered. She was able to relate both books together and mesh their storylines into a seamless final product. This was very creative and a unique outlook on this assignment. Unlike my project, Jerilyn wanted to retain the content of the books she used. Instead, I completely redesigned my book into a totally separate product. Although we took very different approaches to this assignment, I think this was the reason Professor Hasseler left the directions so vague. Different interpretations of the assignment clearly led to various methods of thinking. I thought it was interesting how Jerilyn focused on the main raw materials used in the paper making process. By focusing on these components, one is able to begin to understand the foundation of this industry. By breaking down the process into its smallest parts, it is possible to see the importance of the most basic materials.
ReplyDeleteThe idea that the amount of paper produced was limited by the amount of rare material in the past is interesting to think about in comparison to the fact that it is rarely thought about today. Although deforestation is a problem, the thought of not having material to make paper rarely, if ever, does not cross many people’s minds. Like Jerilyn I was also very surprised that paper was responsible for the only deaths on American soil during World War II caused by enemy action. It is crazy to think about the amount of influence that paper had to be involved with an incident like this.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite part of Jerilyn’s book was the binding. When I was altering my book, making a new binding for the book was something that I had not even thought about and it is something that I will now consider for my next altered book. The binding plays such an important part in books so it would be interesting to explore different ways of altering it.