Friday, February 13, 2015

Morgan LaBarbera Reflection


Normally when someone is instructed to “destroy” something the first things that come to mind is usually actions like breaking, burning, stomping, ripping, and maybe melting. So when I was instructed to alter or “destroy” my book I didn’t hold back.

What I learned from this process of altering my book is that you can take any type of already published work and recreate it into something of your own by changing its meaning and creating something completely new. I was able to look at my book as a new canvas and alter its pages and the words on the pages to have new meanings. I learned that this process can be a lot of fun too. This process really allowed me to use my imagination and to be creative. I also learned going back and reading some of the random pages within the book that I forgot some of the meanings the book once had to me. I was able to highlight some of these meanings while altering certain pages.

What I learned in the readings about the process in creating paper is that not much is wasted in the actual process. So when relating this to the alteration of my book I’d like to think that my book is not being wasted either because I am “destroying” it but yet I am using all of its elements in my alteration process to create something new. I chose my book because it had a positive influence on me. But after destroying it I felt a bit guilty for some of the things I did to it. One reason being simply because someone I respect told me to read it. And secondly, after reading about the history of paper itself and how far it’s evolved till today, I never realized the true values that paper once had. After reading I took into consideration how far the development of paper itself has come and how once it was very much scarce and valued. Back in the paper mill day’s old the creation process for paper was very intense. One process took old rags that were collected to be beaten with mallets to start the paper making process. Those rags then went through a steeping process which divided them into sections to then be left in places like cellars to ferment. From there those poor rags were stripped of their fatty substances and the remaining raw material was brought to the mill where it was beaten again by small wooden mallets which were usually fitted with tiny knives and nails. This process goes on for a while where the rags are reduced in water and such before the ever became close to being paper. The main point of this long process though is that at one point in time paper making was a complex and thorough process. It didn’t take the short amount of time it takes factories now a day to create it and shockingly that process is only one of the many different types of processes that was used to form paper. For example some paper was created from clean white tree bark in Japan. Paper in general took a lot of time and effort to create, while it was also very high in demand. Overall I feel guilty knowing about the history of paper and how it once took so long to create and was so valued because it now seems to be just an easily disposable textile that we take for advantage. For example it took me less than a minute to light my book on fire and destroy the pages of paper, and that was easy for me because paper to me is disposable and not so much valued like it used to be. Once upon a time there were droughts of raw materials when people weren’t able to create paper. Now we have so much of it we need to recycle it to help not to pollute our planet.

The paper mill industry itself grew fast in some areas of the world and it also became somewhat competitive. More countries were creating more paper mills to produce larger numbers of products. This change happened with getting rid of the old hand presses and the adoption of modern machinery.

Modern Machinery also helped with the creation of the book. Once paper itself had spread mainly throughout Europe it became a common commodity. Once paper became more popular it price began to drop because more factories were opening and creating it. This allowed more people the access to paper and eventually allowed the creation of books to begin. During the 15th and 16th centuries is when techniques were gradually perfected to produce books more rapidly. A big reason for the push in faster and greater production was in the increasing numbers of demand for printed books, articles in magazines. Technological advances were necessary to help this industry keep pace with the amount of demand.

8 comments:

  1. I really like that Morgan focused on the fact that she wasn’t destroying her book, but that she was instead creating something new. I also like that she went through the creative process in a way that allowed her to fully enjoy it, and not just the end result. While she, like many of us, felt guilty about making some of the changes she made to her book, it’s important for us to overcome that to make the books our own even if it means destroying some aspects of them. The way I see it, everything, even the ingredients of paper, has to in some way be destroyed before it can become something worth using. The rags used to make paper, as Morgan pointed out from the Basbanes reading, were beaten with mallets, steeped in water, stripped of fats, and cut up with knife and nail-ridden mallets again before they could become paper. Today’s paper is even destroyed when it is recycled to again become something new. Ultimately, I think it’s important to see the alteration process as creating something new because everything is always being destroyed in order to become something else new and improved. Everything must get worse before it gets better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morgan, I like that when you got this assignment to alter the book, you didn’t want to anything hold back. You also just thought about destroying the book right away, but it was awesome for you to find out you weren’t destroying the book, just altering it and making something creative and meaningful. You made a great connection between your book and the readings. Just because you are altering you book, doesn’t mean it is going to waste, you are just adding different elements to it. And from the readings you understand that paper has evolved so much, that simply destroying it would be kind of like wasting what people went through to create it. Papermaking was a complex process because there were many different techniques and many trial and error processes to try and make it more efficient. Because it was such a complex process and so valued during that time, great inventories kept working to simplify the process and make paper just part of our everyday life. With the growth of paper usage eventually, the technology that was invented, the competition was created and the dropping of its price kept up with the pace of demand and helped paper to become less thought about in everyday life. Paper should still be valued not for its complex process anymore but for the chance we may use up all of our resources for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like how Morgan explained how she did not destroy her book but instead made it something new. I feel that this is a very clever way to look at the assignment. Looking back at my own experience I went about this approach too; I just hadn’t thought of it in this way. I do not think of myself as I “destroyed” Curious George, but instead I made it better. I also liked how she explained that the paper mill industry was competitive and grew quickly. I did not realize that it was also competitive in preindustrial days too. Basbanes explained that there were “trade secrets” back then too. However, as time progressed the process became the same and the only differences was sophistication and advancing ingenuity (Basbanes, 61). Even though this project was not a competitive one the relationship can be made that everyone created a different book through the same process of art actions (cutting, pasting, drawing, burning, etc.). Just like back in the beginning of paper making the processes were similar but the end product was a result of the person making the paper. Just like this project where the process was the same but the end result varied based on the person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed readings Morgan'e reflection on her process and what was going through her mind as she altered her book. Or in this case, on her blank canvas. I like how she looked at her book as an open canvas that invited her to create new and different and beautiful things in it. I really like this idea because it let her to let lose and create something completely new and different. This bring back the idea of not destroying your book but instead adding new things and ideas to it. I also seem to agree with you in your way of looking at paper and evolution and how important it is now a days. After these readings, we now understand the complexity that when into paper making and all the hours that people devoted to the profession.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Morgan, it is refreshing to hear of someone who wasn’t hesitant at first to start this project. You seemed extremely eager to start destroying the book, but in a way to create something completely new that is special to you. I agree that the process of this assignment was a really fun experience. And as you pointed out, we are by no means wasting these books. We are making them unique and adding different elements to them. I think it’s great that you picked a book that had a positive impact on you. I bet after altering this book, you will never forget about the plot of the book, or the respected person that recommended it to you. I can see why you were guilty given the process that was underwent to make paper. However, technology today has made paper so accessible that we don’t view the value of paper the same as when it was first being made in the past. But, I think we can both agree that after reading on its history, paper has a value higher to us now than we perceived. And yes, it is absolutely imperative for us to recycle paper. So much is wasted today, and it is our responsibility to keep the environment clean.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like how Morgan saw herself as creating something new rather than destroying it. Like Morgan, I felt a bit guilty about my actions after reading about the process and time that paper goes through in the creation. Morgan didn’t hold anything back in her alteration and it was very interesting to see how her actions transitioned into her final product. Morgan mentions how she never realized the true value that paper has and I think that everyone in the class who has read these articles can agree with her statement. Paper seems to be something that we all take for granted and not knowing the steps that paper once went through to be created is seen as an excuse for many. I really like how Morgan went back into her book after altering it to read some of the pages. Though she admits that some of the pages changed meaning I really like how she went back and highlighted parts of the book that had the same meaning as before. This allows for readers to still understand the real meaning of the book even though she still altered it. Great job Morgan finding ways to keep the altered books true meaning while still changing the design and look of the book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Morgan, I also enjoyed turning my book into something brand new. I altered my book quite a bit. Before this assignment, I was a result oriented person. However, during this project, I had a lot of fun during the process. This process also allowed me to be creative and use my imagination. I liked how you burned your book. It looks like you had a lot of fun with the assignment. I also burned my book but found it to be a little bit difficult. I would agree with you one hundred percent that people today undermine the value of paper. I like how you talked about paper being produced in a factory today and how it takes no time at all to produce sheets of paper. We learned from the readings that paper making was a laborious process and paper makers devoted their lives to this process. I did not realize that the paper making process was so competitive. I am glad you mentioned something about recycling in your reactions to this assignment. After reading the articles, I have placed a higher value on the paper we use every day. I try to recycle anything deemed acceptable to recycle. Paper is something we take for granted and couldn’t imagine a day without. It is imperative that we recycle the paper we use today so it doesn’t run out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Morgan that the process of altering a book was actually a lot of fun and allowed me to look at my book as a new “canvas” and give it a new meaning. I like how she was able to highlight some of the book’s original meaning after reminiscing the meanings that the book once had for her. It is interesting to me that because she felt the book had a positive influence on her, she felt a sense of guilt after destroying it during her process. Creating something new is a good way to look at it, in a positive light. I agree that the process of making paper was very intense back in the days of the paper mill. The whole process involving old rags and all the steps they went through before they were even close to being actual paper is extremely complex and seems exhausting to me to read, let alone actually going through the entire process from beginning to end. The competitive nature of the papermaking industry never really occurred to me before these readings, along with the fact that modern machinery being adopted was such a big deal. More people having access to paper went along with its drop in price, and therefore there was increasing demand for books and magazines.

    ReplyDelete