Friday, February 13, 2015

Nicole LaRosee Reflection


            Altering a book seemed at first to be a daunting and unfamiliar task. I have loved reading and loved books for as long as I can remember; so when we received the email that this was going to be our first assignment, I was hesitant. The book that I chose to use for this assignment was Number the Stars. As I was going through my books at home I came across this book and memories of reading it for the first time surfaced. I remember that it was a required reading book in elementary school and even after I read it for the first time I continued to read it for fun multiple times after that.
As I started to brainstorm what I wanted to do to the book, I began to enjoy the process more than I thought I would. My first idea was to try and match an act with a particular chapter name of the book. This didn’t work out for every idea that I had but for some it worked. I knew that I wanted to burn the book in some way. There was a chapter called “There Has Been a Death”, so I decided to burn this page in the center. The flame burned through the page and you can see that the fire got onto the next page which left a charred browned color onto the next paper.
Another idea that came to me was during the snow storm last week. I was stuck in my room and wondering what I could do to the book. This was when I thought it might be cool to try and make snowflakes out of a page from the book. I ripped a random page out of the book, folded it a few time and cut random pieces out of the paper. Once I was finished, it didn’t really look like a snowflake but it still had an interesting shape so I decided to stick two of them together in an abstract way.
Another time when I was sitting at my desk, I realized that I had a number of different sharpies and that most of them were neon colors. I decided originally to just play around with the sharpies and began to outline the different chapters in the colors to make them pop more. Then once I liked how the pink neon colored looked on the page, I decided to just make straight lines across the entire page to make a cool symmetrical design.
I realized after a while that I would stop whatever I was doing and think about other things that I could do to the book and what would look cool in it. One idea that was hard to do was put candle wax on the pages of the book. I started by dipping the corner of a page into the hot wax and afterward it would dry almost instantly. The problem with doing this process was that I had to dip the corner into the wax very fast so that the page wouldn’t catch on fire. Considering this I didn’t do it as much as I would have liked to. Once the wax dried on the page, it was very smooth and the lavender smell from the candle can be smelt in the book now.
Through this process I realized that I am more open to creatively altering the book than I originally thought I would be. I actually enjoyed the process and had fun trying to think of ways that I could alter the book. I hope that next time I can be even more creative with what I do to alter a book.



Reading Reflection:
One thing that I learned from the readings by Hunter was how many different materials were used as paper before paper even existed. I found it very interesting to read and learn about which materials were used and how some of those materials were even made. The process by which parchment and other materials are made are very detail oriented and a long process. It’s amazing to read how these materials are made and how much work goes into each and every one. It makes me take a step back and think about how much paper we use now and how much we take paper for granted; especially considering how much paper I used to print out these readings! This is one of the reasons that I thought the reading was actually interesting because we got to learn about the entire paper making process as well as all the other various materials that was once used as a writing surface.
Another thing that I learned about paper is how it is defined and what classifies it as true paper. In the reading, paper is defined as “a substance made in the form of thin sheets or leaves from rags, straw, bark, wood, or other fibrous material” (Before paper, page 5). This is interesting because when I think about paper I think that it is made from trees but that’s about where my thinking process stops. I don’t think about everything else that goes into the making of paper and the various materials that were used when it was first developed. For paper to be classified as true paper, the sheets must be made from macerated fiber. This just means that the fiber used must be mixed and softened by water. This definition makes some materials that resemble paper not actually true paper. For example, parchment is made from animal skins. Though this material both feels and looks like paper, it was not made of macerated fibers so it is not true paper.




8 comments:

  1. I really appreciate Nicole’s creative process in altering her book because it was entirely different from mine. I tried to plan everything before I made any attempts to change mine, while she seems to have tried things as she became inspired by the world around her. I really like that she was inspired by the snowstorms we’ve been dreading to make pretty snowflakes on her book. In this way, the book really starts to reflect her feelings and surroundings. However, I also like that she keeps the original message of the book in mind by trying to change the pages of new chapters based on their names. It was really creative of her to burn the center of the page about death. In addition, I admire that she thought to change the smell of her book too by incorporating melted wax. These bursts of creativity I think were key in the creation of paper in that people have made it from so many things based on their surroundings. The Egyptians, for example, thought to make it out of papyrus because they were surrounded by papyrus plants. The Japanese also discovered different ways to color paper with the pigment of different flowers around them. If it weren’t for spontaneous inspiration like Nicole exemplified, some of those methods may not have happened.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole, I really enjoyed reading the process of how you altered your book. You didn’t get to do your original idea of matching the chapter with your action, but I saw you were able to burn a page of you book. I burned my book too and I really liked the color the burning left and I thought the act of burning it was really fun. It was awesome of you to make snowflakes out of the book as well, with all of missed classes because of the snow, I find it funny that it became a part of your assignment. It was interesting to hear about you using candle wax on your book, and that’s something I might want to try. You took a very different process than me because you thought of ideas to alter your book, I just did the first thing that came to me and stuck with it. I did find it interesting from the readings that I was able to learn about the entire paper making process and it made me think about how I take paper for granted too. Another good point you made is that paper does have a definition and more materials than I even realized that go into it. It’s not just part of a tree, it a lot of other materials too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like how Nicole was open to changing her process. For example, she wanted to try and match every chapter with a different action. However, she quickly realized that could not happen logically. Therefore, she changed her methods and you can see her methods continue to evolve as she altered her book until she had a great finished project. This reminds me a lot about how paper was conceived and created. In the beginning it took a lot of trial and error in order to find the right raw materials to turn into a pulp and press into paper that had the properties people were looking for. Even throughout the years people will still experimenting with serval different mediums attempting to create the best paper out of sustainable resources. Basbane actual mentions an incredible discover that shows the evolution of paper over 600 years (Basbane, 53). Nicole’s piece could be seen as mirroring the creation of paper by trying lots of different methods and seeing which ones worked the best. Lastly, she explained that she was inspired by the snowstorm to create snowflakes. Just like papermakers were inspired by the raw materials they had around them to create paper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicole, I was a little hesitant at the beginning of this assignment too. I wasn’t sure where to start. On the first day of class, I had said that I was more interested in the final result as opposed to the process. However, in doing this assignment, I really enjoyed the process as well. I think you did a great job on your snowflakes. I also liked how you outlined them to really make them pop off the page. I love the burn mark on your book. I also burned my book as one of my art actions. I had socked my book in water and it took a long time to dry. As a result, it was a little difficult to burn it. I had a hard time getting the pages to catch on fire. Luckily, I was able to get them to burn and there was plenty of snow on the ground to extinguish the flames. You were able to change your method for creating this altered book and ended up with an awesome end product. I would agree that paper is a product that is taken for granted in today’s society. I also never knew how much really went into the process of making paper. I knew paper came from trees but that was about it. Your process reminds me of the process of making paper, trial and error. Many different materials and processes were used to create paper and it took time to determine which materials and processes would be deemed the best to make paper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Nicole on being hesitant at first with the assignment. I myself love to read, and it can be shown in the five books that i read over break. Every chance I get a break to school I try to emerge myself in some new story as fast as I can. Which is why I had trouble choosing a book that I had read and instead choose a textbook. I really enjoyed how Nicole tried to incorporate her alterations of the book with the art actions that she performed on it. It shows that she was often thinking of the book and how the final product might look like! I also found it exciting how she enjoyed the process so much and how she might enjoy altering a next book. I think the process of doing brings our creativity out even when we might think we are not creative at all. I agree with how paper products are taken from granted in today's society. The ideas that you had to alter your book I think at times can be compared to the extensive time people first spent when creating paper. They did not know what the final product might be but they were interested in the process and the possibility of a positive outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicole, I really like your altered book. Like yourself, I saw this task as a pretty challenging one at first. I also enjoy reading quite a bit like yourself, and it was strange at first starting to destroy my book as well. I like how you picked that you’ve read quite a few times in the past, as it has a special meaning to you. Also like yourself, the process of this assignment was my favorite part. I like your idea of burning the book, particularly in the “there has been a death” chapter. That art action seems extremely fitting for the chapter. I think it is cool how you took the recent snowstorm and created art from it. I thought the candle wax was a great outside-the-box idea. I too was intrigued by the extensive process used to make paper in the past. We absolutely take for granted paper today, given how easily we can access it and how much is wasted today. Prior to the readings, when I thought of paper I also only envisioned trees being the primary input in the process. It was cool to read about this process in more detail, and how much more goes into the making of one sheet than we first thought. It would be crazy to think of life today without paper. Learning about how much effort and resources was used back then to craft 1 piece makes me appreciate how far this paper making process has come.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like Nicole, I at first thought it was very difficult to alter the book as it seemed like a destruction of someone else’s work. However, like Nicole it was something that I got passed and really enjoyed the project once I got into it. I really like how Nicole started off by using the chapter names as ways to alter the book. She mentioned that it didn’t work for all of them however, I really liked how she used some of the chapter’s names like “There Has Been a Death” and relating it to burning. I also liked how Nicole used sharpies to doodle in her book and then once she found something she like to repeat it. Nicole talked about the process that paper goes through and how she was surprised by the number of components that going into the creation of paper. I like Nicole think of paper as coming from bark and then that is where we stop thinking about it. I thought that Nicole’s snowflake idea of ripping out pages and then putting them together to make a design was a creative idea. I thought it was very interesting how the snow outside sparked her interest in creating this design.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like Nicole, I initially thought of altering a book as a daunting task. I also loved to read, and can still enjoy it given the right book, so for me too, an assignment to alter a book that meant something to me brought some hesitation on my part. I also enjoyed the process more than I thought I would when altering my own book. I really like how she burned the center of a page of the book within the chapter “There Has Been a Death” because it is a solid art action with significance. There was no hesitation involved with that action, as she let the page burn through to the next page behind it. I also love how she experimented with candle wax, and the fact that it resulted in a scented book. I never would have thought that would be the end result, and it seems so cool that I can’t wait to see it. Like many others, Nicole talked about how different materials were used as paper when paper did not exist yet, which again I found fascinating. I also agree that it is amazing how detail oriented the art of papermaking is and how long it takes to complete the process from start to finish.

    ReplyDelete