Over the
past week, I have spent a lot of time reading about paper, how it’s made, and
how it is transformed into books. I was
then able to use that knowledge when it came time to alter my own book, and was
able to better reflect on the process. When you understand where something
comes from and how it’s, the way you viewed the object before is now changed
and you have a stronger appreciation for it. Before looking at these readings,
I did not consider the process behind paper-making to be such intricate work. I
had always assumed it was rather simple process, and there was only one way to
make paper. I has also never considered that for the most part you can make
paper out of pretty much anything, which is really interesting. These readings were extremely eye-opening, and
made me realize that in some parts of the world making paper is considered an
artistic craft.
One
thing that I found interesting while looking at the Hunter reading, is what
elements are needed in order for paper to be classified as being “true”. I had
always been under the impression that anything that looked like paper was
considered paper. However, this reading informed me that in order for it to be
true paper, the thin sheets must be made from fiber that has been macerated, in
other words must be made from disintegrated fibers. Ironically, the word
“paper” is derived from the Greek work papyrus, yet papyrus is not considered
paper in its true sense. Even though it was the first writing material to
contain similar properties to paper, the key difference is papyrus is a
laminated material which does not consist of disintegrated fibers. Regardless
that paper and papyrus have been used for the same purposes, the process of
making papyrus is totally different and unique.
It is also pretty interesting
that prior to the invention of paper by the Chinese in A.D 105, people used
pretty much anything they could get their hands on in order to get their
thoughts out. While some mediums are obvious such as stone or wood, I never
would have considered leaves or bark from trees as being viable and useful.
Each of these mediums served a different purpose for the region of the world
they were developed in. For example in Egypt, men would carve hieroglyphics
into stone walls, and this was a way of passing ideas from one generation to
another. Brick was also another material that was used for expression, and
characters would be carved into the brick and then baked in order to seal the
product. The people who were alive in ancient times were clearly inventors, and
were able to make the most out of the resources they had.
Lastly, I was intrigued by the
number of different ways that a person can make paper, and how many different
elements can be used in the creation. The reading by Basbanes was helpful in
providing me with a more clear understanding of how paper is made, specifically
in China. According to this reading, essentially any plant can be used in
making paper, but it all depends on the quality of the fibers. One way in which
paper was handmade in a China town, was by using fiber that consisted of wood
pulp and the inner bark of the paper mulberry tree, which was then cooked in
lime and bleached. Another type of paper known as Dongba, which is considered
very sturdy and beautiful, and has proven to be resistant over centuries.
When it came time to alter my
first book, I spent a lot of time reflecting on what I had recently learned
about how paper was made. After learning about how much time and effort goes
into making paper, I somewhat felt guilty tearing, burning, or cutting it. Once
I began working on the book, I found myself becoming fixated on the process.
Every cut I made, or mark I drew, it added a new element to the book, and
changed itself. While I was altering the book, I did not have a set idea in my
head of what I wanted to do with it. My book did not follow any strict
guidelines and to be honest I am not sure if it would make much sense to anyone
else besides me. However, that is what I found interesting about this project.
Even if I only had changed a few things, the book would have a totally
different meaning to me. Prior to this project, I also appreciated the result
more than the process, but this time it was different. I truly loved working on
the book and creating something new.



I agree with Nicole about feeling apprehensive when altering a book. I was also very reluctant when I started the assignment. I initially saw it as destroying the author’s work and message. I felt especially guilty about cutting the pages and taking content out. However, the readings from Basbanes and Hunter, as well as our class discussion, helped me to realize that by altering the books we are telling a different story and that expressing our creativity using the books is a good thing. Another good point hat Nicole makes highlights the difference between paper and papyrus. This is something that many people are unaware of, and understanding the difference really helps me appreciate paper as a creative tool. Basbanes stresses this point when he explains that beginning in the eighth century , “paper rapidly became essential to multiple forms of creative expression.” He goes on to say that “paper allowed for entirely new means of assisted thought (notation) that did not rely on memory alone and was portable enough to always be within arm’s reach” (Basbanes, 49). People were able to tell stories, not by memory alone, but using paper as a tool. Paper was and is essential to the development of world history. Learning about how paper substantially contributed to the process of creative expression is very interesting.
ReplyDeleteI also agree with Nicole about feeling guilty while altering the book. I couldn't help but apologize to the picture of the author's face on the back of mine as I was doing it! It just seems like such a personal process to pick each detail of how you, as an author, want the world to see your work with such tender loving care only to have the way you wanted the world to perceive it drastically changed by the readers. It feels a little like a slap in the face to the author, especially if it’s one of your favorite books. However, I think that it's also important, as a reader, to be able to create a version of a book you love just for you, even if nobody else can understand it. That's what makes this process special! It's like leaving your own personal watermark on it, which, as mentioned in Lebvre, was an important way for historians to determine who made what type of paper. Every company or artist made paper with different ingredients and methods that some people might struggle to understand. However having individual differences changed the qualities of it in special ways, whether it be texture, thickness, color, or even smell, and they owned those changes with their watermarks.
ReplyDeleteBefore I started to alter my book, I also felt guilty even thinking about destroying a book. Books have been a central part of my life since I was little and the thought of having to alter it drastically was a scary task. Once I started the process of altering the book, I began to find myself enjoying the process and felt excited when I thought of a new idea I could try. Before this task when asked if I liked the process or result of a task better, I would have most likely said the result. I agree with Nicole when she mentions how she really enjoyed the process of altering the book more than the actual result. I can relate to Nicole because before reading the articles, I too had never thought about the process behind paper making and the variety of different ways that different cultures actually made paper. An interesting point that Nicole brings up is how the word “paper” comes from a Greek word that means Papyrus but papyrus is not considered to be true paper. It’s amazing to think that some writing materials may not be considered “true paper” just because it is made of different raw materials or made in a different way. There was so many different ways to make paper and even today, there are a variety of different ways we incorporate paper in everyday use.
ReplyDeleteI like how Nicole explained how the process of the project this time for her was more enjoyable than the outcome. I think in school, especially in classes that don’t really pertain to our major, students really focus on getting their work done as quickly as possible. Even if it’s not their best effort, or they know they could have added more, it does not matter because the assignment is done. However, this project really allowed for more creativity which made the process more enjoyable and productive. When you really get a project that you can dive into, it is easy to get carried away to the point where you don’t want it to be over with. As for the definition of paper, I also agreed with Nicole. Paper is so easy to come by nowadays that no one really stops to think about how it was made or why it was made a certain way. It is very interesting how in order to be classified as paper, it must be thin sheets of disintegrated fibers. Paper has gone through a long history of growth in order to be what it is today, and it is amazing to think how a few fibers can be macerated into a distinguishable form that is useful to everyone around the world.
ReplyDeleteNicole was able to incorporate what we had learned in class into her write up. She said that while altering her book she focused more on the result than the process and that was because she had a hard time altering a book that reflected her childhood. I’m sure that others agree with Nicole when she says that it is hard to change a book but we were able to see it in a sense of not destroying the book but changing it into something that may reflect you, even the slightest change to a book makes it unique to you. The use of words and colored images helped to bring this book to an even more colorful state. Once Nicole got into talking about the readings and how they had taught her what to do with her book. Nicole had a new found appreciation of paper and the way it came to be, which made it difficult for her to change what had already been made. If we view this as one big process it helps us to recognize the opportunities that we can get from paper without ruining its current state. The past time of paper is what has made it so important to us today and Nicole shows how the evolution of paper is what gives us our childhood stories and many of our memories that come from them.
ReplyDeleteI loved Nicole’s use of a children’s book! I felt those were the most fun to alter! I did agree when she said she felt apprehensive about the process, because you are completely changing an original book. Children’s books especially hold memories for individuals, like myself. You feel like you are destroying the author’s work, something they may feel strongly about. I agree with Nicole when she said “When you understand where something comes from and how its, the way you viewed the object before is now changed and you have a stronger appreciation for it.” I liked this because when you take a step back and understand the deeper meaning, behind say an authors’ work, you begin to appreciate it. I understand where Nicole was coming from when she talked about how much time and effort went into the making of paper. I think people tend to put a blind eye to paper, because it’s very accessible to individuals today. I can relate to Nicole when she talked about how she did not have set guidelines for herself when it came to altering her book. She just kind of went with it! Her altered book has a lot of meaning to her, even if others don’t understand it.
ReplyDeleteThere is no denying the increased appreciation I have for paper and the whole papermaking process after completing the readings. The papermaking process is a lot more extensive that I had first perceived and it is most definitely an art form. The thing that stuck out to me from the readings regarding paper as an art form is the unique watermarks that were used by papermakers in Europe to distinguish their paper from others. In congruence with your reflection, I too had an extremely broad definition for paper. I think it’s quite interesting that some paper-like writing mediums are not considered “true-paper” given their different production process and quality of fiber. When it came to altering the book, I also felt a little bit guilty. Books are esteemed as such good and pure items that any act of destruction towards them seems almost evil. As I mentioned in my reflection as well, I thoroughly enjoyed the process of the assignment. I am typically a results-oriented individual like yourself, and enjoyed creating something completely unique to me. Perhaps others won’t understand your project the way that you had made sense of it, but like you stated, that is the beauty of this assignment. Your altered book is unique and special to YOU and I think that was the whole point of the project.
ReplyDeleteNicole did a great job talking about the process in which paper goes through in order for it to be created. She really expressed the importance of fibers and I like how she talked about the ways in which people communicated with one another before paper was created. Nicole mentions how she didn't think the paper making process was so complex and I couldn't agree with her anymore. It is not something that we think of everyday which is why we think it is such an easy process. Like Nicole, I felt guilty altering my book as it felt like I was destroying someone else’s work however, after breaking into the process it was evident that we were creating art. I think it really depends upon what type of book you are working with when it comes to the alteration process as I felt like a children’s book was much harder to alter compared to a textbook. When you think of a children’s book it reminds you of all the happy times you had as a child and one of the major struggles that I had with this was cutting, burning, and ripping it. Altering a textbook would be much easier as it something usually doesn't remind you of happy memories rather difficult memories arise of long hours in the library studying.
ReplyDeleteAltering a book, tends to leave one a tad bit apprehensive. We were taught that destroying a book was something one should ever do. Even though I will admit to the occasional bonfire for some of my more offensive textbooks (and uniforms but that’s another story). It became easier once I realized that I needed to think of it less of destroying a book, but recreating a book. Paper is a tool that we must use in order to tell our stories and life experiences. You must know your tool in order to make an excellent product based on your skills. Thinking of the paper as a tool made me realize that I do sometimes like to enjoy the process. As long as it’s not tied to something like a business group assignment. For many classes I feel I am more focused on completing the assignment then enjoying the process. Which is a shame because that adds a whole other obstacle for me. It is hard to put your all into something you do not enjoy. I think it’s why the reverse can be stated for the alterations of the other books. If it’s a book you truly enjoyed, it’s hard to reinvent the book. However, if it’s something you greatly disliked it is a lot easier.
ReplyDelete